Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dfliquids ruining paths  (Read 2219 times)

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
Dfliquids ruining paths
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:48:47 pm »

Im trying to build a megastructure, and I just added in a magma building, but i pumped in too much magma and it started overflowing. So then i HAD to cheat, it was too much of a mess to clean it up, so i used dfliquids. So i wrote magma 0 to remove it, but every spot i removed it, those spots cannot be walked on anymore, and that whole area keeps saying they cannot reach site... How can i fix this problem?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Dfliquids ruining paths
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:55:50 pm »

The game still believes there is magma there. Try setting magma levels to 1/7 and let them evaporate.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »

you didnt HAVE to cheat. You could of altered some flow of water and get rid of the magma.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 01:08:59 am »

Just save and reload. It cleared up all pathing problems I've ever had.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 05:30:26 am »

The game still believes there is magma there. Try setting magma levels to 1/7 and let them evaporate.
This.
If you completely delete magma, be prepared for bad things happening. Even with the paths repaired (you can use water to clear pathing data for example), it leaves invisible heat traps. There's nothing like dwarves and dogs starting to melt randomly :D Placing 1/7 magma and waiting for it to evaporate is the best thing you can do in this case, because it will remove both problems.

I could probably fix the melting problem, but not the pathing one. That would require some more research. Or I could just make it impossible to set magma to 0.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:48:45 am »

If you manually set the level to 1, it might not realize that the level is low enough to permit evaporation - instead, set one square to 2 and its neighboring square to 0 so the 2 spreads out into both squares.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 08:41:53 am »

You can instead attempt to salvage this by dropping water on the spot you "fixed" from a z-level above. You know, for science!

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:20:34 pm »

Im thinking my new map is screwed, though... I was building a fortress and noone was doing anything. Next thing I know, ALL my people were in the river drowning! I apparently made the only path walkable down to river level, up to my fortress and they decided to try it. I had to use the block at 1 to dry up the WHOLE river, and still had to do it a second time before they all made it out. I figured out I was building something earlier and made my bridge restricted access... Plus it messed up my beautiful waterfall.

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »

I've found that if you build a construction over a 0/7 magma square, then deconstruct it, the pathing data is reset. I've had these 0-magma path blockages happen several times, and every time I've fixed it by building a floor on the squares bordering walkable areas, then removing them. I assume that walls/ramps/etc would have the same effect.

I wonder, though, if making the square 0/7 water instead of 0/7 magma might help. If not, you could try making it 1/7 water, then waiting a few steps, then making it 0/7 water. I've never tried either of these, but I probably will before building floors next time I get in this situation.