Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like to see clarification of seasonal saved game data?

I never use seasonal saves
- 6 (13.3%)
No, I am happy the way they are
- 3 (6.7%)
Does it really matter
- 8 (17.8%)
Good idea
- 11 (24.4%)
By the Blood God, YES
- 17 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: June 03, 2010, 02:34:30 am

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Clarify saved game storage  (Read 5128 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clarify saved game storage
« on: May 20, 2010, 02:34:30 am »

I think it would be a benefit to clarify saved game data.

What I would like to see is a simple name of a saved game, the year, and the region, and any additional information saved to a supplemental file that opens like the tooltips for viewing individual dwarf data.

Organizing the files so they are top to bottom (or bottom to top) strictly organized by real life time and date of save would also be highly useful.

While mass confusion and weird behavior amongst dwarves in the game is absolutely part of the fun, when you are trying to generate a reproduceable bug (or recover from accidentally hitting the wrong lever and crushing two full squads of dwarven warriors with a drawbridge) it would be nice if the saved game data was a bit less cryptic and didn't require digging around in the save folder for time and date on individual files.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Clarify saved game storage
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:42:00 am »

I voted "God yes", and am interested as to why you chose "Does it really matter?"
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 02:42:55 am »

That was me, not him, I don't really care about what's in my saves. I just want them to work.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:06:31 am »

I suppose that since I started the thread, and with my post made it clear where I stand, it isn't going to color anyone's perceptions by me voting in my own poll.  Not quite sure why a poll author cannot see poll results without voting, regardless of the choices, but *shrug*
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 03:07:55 am »

I think you can edit the poll can't you? You can check or un-check boxes to change options.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 03:09:11 am »

I think you can edit the poll can't you? You can check or un-check boxes to change options.

No real need, it's pretty obvious what my opinion on the topic is, and now that I've voted, I can see the results  ;D

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 03:10:17 am »

You might want to add the option to change votes, in case someone misreads something or has a crash and changes their opinion.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 03:13:47 am »

There is no option to change voting rules.  There might be if I delete current results, but I'd rather not do that.  I'm happy with it as it is.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 03:16:18 am »

Oh yeah, you need to start a new poll to change that option, ah well. Nevermind. It's not vital.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:33:28 pm »

Does this involve the auto-backup?  I use seasonal but not auto-backup.  Having a naming scheme only matters if you have more than one save file.

And just to be clear, you're talking about file names, right?  It sounds like an easy change.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 01:12:35 am »

Does this involve the auto-backup?  I use seasonal but not auto-backup.  Having a naming scheme only matters if you have more than one save file.

And just to be clear, you're talking about file names, right?  It sounds like an easy change.

Yes, this is for when you have the game set up to archive multiple backups.

Both file naming, and file organization on the chooser screen would be nice, though either/or would be a lesser, but still good thing.

Ideally, I'd think that a tooltip to more clearly indicate the data that the long filenames is trying to convey would be more valuable than either - since if the save history is clear, it's not that much trouble to look for what you want.

This isn't a "Please make file data perfect" thread - it's just a plea for a bit more organization so we don't feel like one of our dwarves staggering around sober looking for the shortest route to the whiskey barrel.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:31:05 am »

I was hoping for a "My data!  It's gone!"
igless

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »

One bump for good measure.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 05:45:10 pm »

And another bump shortly before the end of the poll

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 06:06:57 pm »

It's generally frowned upon to bump Suggestions threads without adding new content, especially if they're your own.  If you want this idea to stick around and remain visible, you can create an entry in Eternal Suggestion Voting.
Pages: [1] 2 3