Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gender-specific names  (Read 1484 times)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Gender-specific names
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

This is related, somewhat, to Bloat307.  If people in the world had female-sounding names, it might be easier to determine their gender at a glance.

The names of females in Dwarf Fortress could be run through a filter in order to produce a female-sound equivalent, if a civilisation had an appropriate entity tag.  For instance, "Rakust" might turn into "Rachuste", while "Urist" might turn into "Urissia".

To do this, I would suggest taking the original male name and hashing it to produce a seed for a standard 32-bit number generator.  Then, for each hard consonant phoneme, it can be replaced by a randomly-selected softer variation which sounds similar.

Because this would work directly with the phonemes instead of with the words, there would be no need to include masculine-versus-feminine language within the language raws.  However, if you wanted to go that road, I'm sure that would work fine as well: Earth tends to have strong notions of gender in its words (and languages like French tend to insist upon it).

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Gender-specific names
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

If I'm not mistaken the game already has separate female and males names - Urist, for example, is always a female name.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

Nothing in the raw data would appear to support that. =)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

of course not, but not everything is in the raws - many things are hardcoded. I've never seen a male Urist.. got a screenshot of one?

I tried to check my current fort but there are no duplicate names (and it's ~90% female anyway for some reason, which was a surprise).

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>While the raws themselves suggest otherwise, I prefer my purely anecdotal evidence.</STRONG>

Okay.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

*whistles*

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »

This is a good idea.

Another possibility is the addition of a Female/Male Symbols. (But only if multiple symbols are taken into account when choosing names.)

[ April 08, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 03:08:00 am »

Those are already in. You can see them when viewing a creature.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Those are already in. You can see them when viewing a creature.</STRONG>
You and I are referring to two different things.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 09:59:00 am »

You just said you wanted the symbols added in...
Did you mean as letters usable in conversations?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 10:02:00 am »

Maybe he means... anatomical symbols?
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

I think he meant as part of the name, so you could tell gender when announcements are made without having to find the dwarf and look up their profile.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

I believe he is refering to the RAW file language_SYM which divides all of the words in the entire game into symbols which can then be selected to be the prefered words to become names of a particular civilisation (almost always picking these as first names, and heavily preferencing them in last names, or culling them completely in the case of culling).

Though I have no idea how difficult it would be to change it around so that this worked. Maybe adding something like [MALE_SUFFIX:en] and [FEMALE_SUFFIX:ia] in the Entity file? After all, it would be easier for language mods to not have to go through every word on the select symbol list to change each and every one to [MALE] and [FEMALE].

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

The context of the discussion involves the language raws, so...

quote:
Originally posted by Willfor:
<STRONG>I believe he is refering to the RAW file language_SYM which divides all of the words in the entire game into symbols which can then be selected to be the preferred words to become names of a particular civilization (almost always picking these as first names, and heavily preferencing them in last names, or culling them completely in the case of culling).</STRONG>
Oh hey, someone with a clue. How about that.

[ April 09, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 02:26:00 am »

Well, we're not all modders.
Pages: [1] 2