Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Gender-specific names

(1/6) > >>

JT:
This is related, somewhat, to Bloat307.  If people in the world had female-sounding names, it might be easier to determine their gender at a glance.The names of females in Dwarf Fortress could be run through a filter in order to produce a female-sound equivalent, if a civilisation had an appropriate entity tag.  For instance, "Rakust" might turn into "Rachuste", while "Urist" might turn into "Urissia".To do this, I would suggest taking the original male name and hashing it to produce a seed for a standard 32-bit number generator.  Then, for each hard consonant phoneme, it can be replaced by a randomly-selected softer variation which sounds similar.Because this would work directly with the phonemes instead of with the words, there would be no need to include masculine-versus-feminine language within the language raws.  However, if you wanted to go that road, I'm sure that would work fine as well: Earth tends to have strong notions of gender in its words (and languages like French tend to insist upon it).

BurnedToast:
If I'm not mistaken the game already has separate female and males names - Urist, for example, is always a female name.

JT:
Nothing in the raw data would appear to support that. =)

BurnedToast:
of course not, but not everything is in the raws - many things are hardcoded. I've never seen a male Urist.. got a screenshot of one?I tried to check my current fort but there are no duplicate names (and it's ~90% female anyway for some reason, which was a surprise).

Earthquake Damage:
quote:Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>While the raws themselves suggest otherwise, I prefer my purely anecdotal evidence.</STRONG>Okay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version