Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Age of Mage and Heroes (OOC, questions thread)  (Read 7742 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Mage and Heroes (OOC, questions thread)
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:20:08 pm »

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:39:16 pm by evilcherry »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Mage and Heroes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:24:32 pm »

Name: Elves of Perpetual Joy

Description: The Elves of Perpetual Joy live in and around Evernight Forest, which got its name from the large canopy that blocks nearly all light from reaching the forest floor. They have a blatantly hedonistic society. Most actions they take are fueled by their desire to maximize the amount of pleasure they gain from life. Low-end laborers, such as farming, are almost entirely slaves taken from other settlements. More skilled laborers, such as blacksmiths, are often slaves, although some elves enjoy such work.

The army is based around a core of small elite units called Rolso. Some elves join it for the sheer brutality. The army is a common sentence for criminals, particularly violent ones. They are drafted into the low ranks of the Sarlor, who are mostly used to wear the enemy out before battle. Promotion is based on merit on the battlefield.

Leader: There are multiple branches of the government, overseen by the head mage. The head mage has the sole vote on allowing new branches in, or kicking old ones out. A branch can be any group of elves, and elves may belong to multiple branches. One member of each branch meet once a week to make decisions, including what the branches are in charge of actually doing.

Elemental alignment: Nature (I wish to focus mostly on defensive and support spells)

Unique Unit: Elven Rangers - These elite elves are highly skilled with a bow, and capable swordsmen. Although lightly armored, they are skilled at moving stealthy, hitting their foes where they are least expected while the Sarlor and less stealthy Rolso distract them.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:41:58 pm by Nirur Torir »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:28:57 pm »

This looks interesting, but what time constraints are there? I don't want to slow the game down.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:21:23 pm »

Name: The Necro-kains

Description: The "Necro-kains" themselves are age old liches that are are said to have came from beyond the stars, They landed on this plant using there vast magics and quickly fell into a deep sleep to regain their strength that was saped from the eons long journey though the cold vacuum of space. They look like giant frogs. Unfortunately for them this planets magic weave is much weaker than their homeworld, and what was suppose to be only a slumber of several years turned into ten years, than a hundred, than a thousand, it has now been 1.4 million years since they arrived. Only the most powerful of them are still alive as it becomes exponentially harder to keep their body's alive well they are asleep. But finally they passed from the unwakeing slumber into a more passive sleep... and they started to dream. They dream of the outside world and they see their own plight. They know that at this rate they will die and so they went to find magic artifacts that can distal magic faster than their own bodies. The first dreamer when on this quest as soon as he awoke but found that if he was to die in his dream he would not be able to dream again thus spelling his doom. So he traveled the world as careful as possible and found many things, some of which were dangerous to him and so he retreated back to the chambers were he slept. He knew that his own powers weaked so by the fact that he was only a dream of himself were not enough, he needed help. So he changed the world slowly bringing up something to help him, he watched and waited as this new beast spread and changed and than he selected a tribe. He the Zizan'bar, a tribe of desert traders from the race of humans were chosen, he appeared before them and declared himself their god, quickly killing all who opposed him he spread the rule of the Zizan'bar over the entire desert engulfing many tribes and forging the empire of the Necro-kains. Now he rules as the god king in the capital, searching for anything to help him and anyway to spread his power. He he served by the deadly Zizan'bar, which is now the name of his warrior inquisitors and the grand desert empire.

Leader: The first dreamer, only know as He Who Watches, although he regards the power he has now as less than a child's play toy he is still one of if not the most powerful spell caster in the entire world. He appears as a ghostly giant frog if he is not using illusion to mask himself, but his real body, and the body's of his as yet unwoken companions are entombed deep in the catacombs of the royal temple, although most of the magic that was put in place when they landed was absorbed to fuel their reawakening some spells are still active in a weaker form guarding the tomb of the sleepers.

Elemental alignment: Death or Necromancery (Or anything that focuses on souls/undead/draining)

Unique Unit: The Zizan'bar, a league of shadowy warriors/priests/inquisitors that act as the religious police of the Necro-kains. They work to root out heresy and dissenters in the empire and spread the influence of He Who Watches farther.

Aside-All your possible hedonistic pleasures, and more, can be found in the embrace of Him.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 06:30:22 pm »

Dang, Nirur, your civ is awesome.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:14:04 pm »

Name: Dripmurk Alliance
They use a symbol of a waterdrop with a Human skull in it in most of their flags and emblems-not very creative, but it is universally understood.

Description: The Dripmurk Alliance? Scourge of Men and Dwarves everywhere? Not really. Comprised of the various teeming races of the dark underground, having banded together for survival, they are not really noticed. They have a tendency to swarm every few years though, when their population gets too large...most of the time, they are content to maintain control of the underground water sources they call home.

The Dripmurk army is strictly segmented, with Kobolds, Batmen and Ratmen forming hordes of barely organized milita troops-Lizardmen and Goblins form the center of the army, and they hold most of the leadership positions. Massive Trolls and slithering Serpentmen form the elite core, smashing through enemy positions when they have been weakened. Most of the Dripmurk army is amphibious of course...they stick to slow moving water though.

A Dripmurk militaman is expected to arm himself with looted weapons and armor-Dwarven being highly desired, but anything is better than the rudimentary stone and bone equipment they start out with.

Leader: Deet'tweek, Kobold High Lord! A Kobold of ferocious stature and mind. He has been dodging assassination attempts for years, knowing the fragile alliance will shatter like a pane of glass upon his death. Has a taste for eating live rats. (if they're alive they're not poisoned)

Elemental alignment: Water, Offensive

Unique Unit: Troll Knights! A mockery mostly-they are merely the biggest, meanest, smartest Trolls given the best loot in armor and weapons,  and called "knights". They spend most of their time behind the lines feasting and "encouraging" their fellow soldiers, waiting for the enemy to be weakened by superior numbers before charging in and declaring victory. Like most Trolls, they are strong and hearty, and can regenerate minor wounds.

I also would like to know time constraints. My computer time is eh...limited. lol
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 07:39:43 pm »

Name: The Northern Catalyst

Description: Small gray bipedal rodent like men from underneath the northern glaciers.  They have claws for fingers, and webbing between their claws for swimming in underground pools.  Lives in very harsh and cold climates, and is highly uncomfortable in heat.  Prefers the underground stale air over the above ground fresh air.  Lives for around a thousand years.   

Leader: Eyjakacul, the smallest and the wisest of all the Catalysts.  Several thousand years old from high magic use.

Elemental alignment: Dark Ice, able to wield ice as missiles and for basic building structures.  Magic ice can last for thousands of years without melting and makes great structures, but takes a while to summon the ice so it's not as useful in battle.

Unique Unit: Ice Fiend.  Large troll like land whale comprised of ice.  Very strong, but useless in heat as it melts quickly. 
~Jesse

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:52:12 pm »

Sign me up.

I'll wait to post faction stuff until the ground rules are laid down, though (and I finish thinking it up  :P)
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 01:09:21 am »

Some preliminary rules:

Spoiler: turns (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: cities (click to show/hide)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 02:11:04 am »

Name: Kyrby Clan
Description: The Kyrby clan are a civilization that are relativity modest and believe that their enemies have the stronger weapons. Their bodies are basically balls, with some rather small limbs. They range in colors, from pink to green, and everything else. Thy look rather cute, and their language consists of mainly the word "Puyo". They like to copy their enemies abilities and use them fro their own. However, a Kyrby without any copied powers isn't that useful.
Leader: Kirby is the founder of the tribe and can inhale ANYTHING, then copy it. He then whoops the enemy with his newly acquired powers. He's a pink blob in red shoes and occasionally wears a headband to PROVE LEADERSHIP.
Elemental alignment: Wind.
Unique Unit: Copiers-Following the footsteps of Kirby, they Inhale ANYTHING, then copy it, then use it to whoop ass.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 02:12:12 am »

Reserving a slot for myself. I'm working out my details, and would like to see more of the rules, but I'm interested in playing.

nevermind, I'll watch and see how this plays out.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:48:08 am by forsaken1111 »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 02:27:12 am »

Name: Overheim

Description:
Overheim is the Land of the Sky, built on the backs of clouds by the Cloud Giants. There, the Giants live in fabulous castles of cloud and mist, supported by human and demi-human slaves. Beneath the lands of Overheim is what the Giants refer to as "The Underworld", the lands of the other races. The Giants only venture from their castles to go and raid the Underworld for slaves, crops and cattle.

The humans of Overheim are either slaves to the Cloud Giants or, more commonly, random peasants who happen to live underneath the clouds ruled by Overheim. It kind of sucks for them, but it could be worse. Sometimes they even get protected from invasion, but most of the time they're either stepped on or conscripted by some local lord who's late with the cattle and now has a grumpy Cloud Giant sitting on his castle.

Leader:
Overheim is ruled by dozens of self proclaimed Cloud Kings who, despite their title, all bend knee to the mysterious Sky Wizard, a demi-human of unknown origin. This Sky Wizard is the real leader of Overheim.

Elemental alignment: Air & Clouds

Unique Unit: Cloud Giant. Can walk on clouds and is really really huge.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 04:49:38 am »

People, I expect some degree of seriousness. While it is hard to police behaviour once the game is on full steam, remember this is a game of traditional/tolkien/D&D style high fantasy. I respect a civ of different pokemons, which is perfectly playable. I probably cannot work with (and I'm sure that other players can't work with) a civ of kirbys. Or, if you want, you can make spearkirbys, swordkirbys, and markskirbys. ExKirby, I gotta put you on hold.

Everyone else is okay as far as I'm concerned. I'm making an example of what the Elves of Perpetual Joy woud look like, as a civ sheet.

Notes: At the present stage, the Elves seemed to have a good balanced infantry setup, capable of combined arms. However, they lack cavalry (atm), and their resistance to aerial attacks are close to nothing (also atm).
p.s Forestwalk = treat forest as plains for movement purposes.
Stealth=Can only be seen at a 1 hex closer than normal. Cannot be seen in forests unless you tried to go adjecent to it.
Stealthshot=Can do ranged attack and remain not seen by enemy. Cannot be invoked if stealth is compromised.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:54:03 am by evilcherry »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 10:25:52 am »

Hurray, I get to be an example.
Looks good, but the Sarlor aren't treated very well. Could I get a Forced March ability on them, which reduces Spirit to increase movement for a turn?

What does exposed mean, exactly? I ask because I'd like to be able to send rangers out unsupported, striking behind enemy lines.

May I make up for my aerial weakness by learning summon spells when I level up? I'm thinking of summoning giant falcon units, and then training elves to ride them.

How does leveling up a leader work?

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 11:27:38 am »

yeah, I did imagine that Kyrbys WOULD need some other ranks. I'd imagine Copiers being High Cost, High Reward.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7