Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problem with farming...  (Read 2683 times)

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with farming...
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:14:08 pm »

So I get my nice farm set up on some soil inside, and I go and click q over it. It tells me, real friendly, that there are "No seeds available for this location" when I have 20 plump helmet spawns sitting in the next room? Is this just me being a total newb, or what am I missing?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Problem with farming...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:16:44 pm »

In the current version, all underground farms require irrigation, whether they're on soil or stone. Supposedly, this is a bug.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:21:54 pm »

In the current version, all underground farms require irrigation, whether they're on soil or stone. Supposedly, this is a bug.

Fun. At least I found this out quickly. What is the easiest way to irrigate my farm? Also, I am using May Green's tileset, so the default doesn't show water depth.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 06:30:00 pm »

This is not a bug. I don't have the exact quote or anything, but I believe irrigation is somewhere in the raws now.

The best way to irrigate underground farms is to dig out a plot next to a murky pool, then punch a hole into the pool from the side closest to the farm. This will muddy a big patch of ground, and then you can just seal up the hole and the pool will eventually refill as it rains.

Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 06:40:12 pm »

Okay got it set up (Yay) just made the farm plot a wee bit big, oh well. If they do fill up with rain I will just reflood at a later date.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:41:43 pm »

This is not a bug. I don't have the exact quote or anything, but I believe irrigation is somewhere in the raws now.

The best way to irrigate underground farms is to dig out a plot next to a murky pool, then punch a hole into the pool from the side closest to the farm. This will muddy a big patch of ground, and then you can just seal up the hole and the pool will eventually refill as it rains.

It has been confirmed as a bug.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:49:17 pm »

There is an irrigation tag, but it doesn't work that way. This is a bug.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:29 pm »

After deciding that my newfound knowledge of how much water is in each tile was worthy of a second embarkation, I can't find any pools in side mountains. Argistan!

Also, I get why this game makes ya dwarfish. Addictive but swear worthy every minute.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 09:53:46 pm »

Go native and plant some above ground farms so you won't starve!
igless

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 02:21:04 am »

Go native and plant some above ground farms so you won't starve!

Skip that your a dwarf dig dig dig.
Cavern floors come premuddied also there is usually water down there....somewhere.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 06:16:33 am »

Worldgen parameters can be tweaked so the underground is closer to the surface, and is guaranteed water and openness. Of course, you probably don't want the caverns to be 100% water, so dial down the maximum too. But yes, you are guaranteed underground farms if you dig down. Be prepared to hunker up with walls quickly though, unless you bring a warrior with equipment straight on embark.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 07:35:15 am »

watch out for forgotten beasts getting into your fort through the hole, after the water is down to 1/7 wall it back up. I did not wall it off and had FUN ensue. It least it did not have poisonous blood or anything really nasty.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 03:30:11 pm »

I always keep embarking near a river, prepare a floodgate for irrigation, and my underground farms are nonethewiser.

Example? Yes, i have one. Here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, i control the floodgates with levers above my farm, and i only needed to open them once. Now, if this game was a pure irrigation for farming upper-ground, and underground, this would be more useful. That and if rivers didn't have... INFINITE WATER which can lead to "Fun" with flooding your fort. That and water pressure is a big thing in the game. (water climbs z-levels below to flood the rest until it's at the ground level of the strongest pressure  :o)

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 04:01:05 pm »

Worldgen parameters can be tweaked so the underground is closer to the surface, and is guaranteed water and openness.
Are there any decent worldgen tutorials floating around?  I'm wanting to do the opposite (deep spread-out caverns) but all the wiki really says is "cavern tags can be tweaked to change stuff" without giving any specifics.

ThiefofTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 05:31:14 pm »

Worldgen parameters can be tweaked so the underground is closer to the surface, and is guaranteed water and openness.
Are there any decent worldgen tutorials floating around?  I'm wanting to do the opposite (deep spread-out caverns) but all the wiki really says is "cavern tags can be tweaked to change stuff" without giving any specifics.
There is an option in worldgen 'cavern openness' or something. Set the min high, to something like 50.

I think this can cause bugs like trees and shrubs and spider silk growing in open space in midair, which causes caveins when the trees grow to maturity (and thus spawn a ground tile underneath them)
Pages: [1] 2