Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: RTD: Hell Desk  (Read 42271 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Hell Desk
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 02:09:54 pm »

I'll practice with the LART while Flintus unlocks the door for us (Assuming that's his plan.)

You'll notice the lack of rolls. There is a reason for this; this is only the (ermm... what's the oppisite of epilouge?).

Prologue.

The IT department usually works out of the basement. I don't think this building has stairs.

Hell, I'm not even in the main building.  I have to go up a hill to get there- great when I'm moving something heavy and it's raining.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 03:11:12 pm »

Go to the terminal and check whats up.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 03:23:07 pm »

We get paid by the hour, right?  Doing lengthy, tedious, but neither physically or mentally draining tasks is the best part of getting paid by the hour(alright, so goofing off while the code's compiling is good too).  There's also making up problems, but 200 racks is plenty tedious.

Begin inspecting blades.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:32:11 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 03:54:13 pm »

We get paid by the hour, right?  Doing lengthy, tedious, but neither physically or mentally draining tasks is the best part of getting paid by the hour(alright, so goofing off while the code's compiling is good too).  There's also making up problems, but 200 racks is plenty tedious.

Begin inspecting blades.

5 minutes before incident

Anyway, you don't get paid by the hour, you get paid by the ticket closed. Yeah, in the far, far future they at least solved SOME problems.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 05:35:19 pm »

Hmmm, I missed that incident part.  It appears I'm failing spot checks in all your RTDs.  I wonder what it could be...
Zombie outbreak?
Skynet coming on-line?
Someone spilling hot coffee on their lap?

Figure out if someone really was stupid enough to leave the root password lying around, or if it's a code for something.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 05:43:15 pm »

Hmmm, I missed that incident part.  It appears I'm failing spot checks in all your RTDs.  I wonder what it could be...

Figure out if someone really was stupid enough to leave the root password lying around, or if it's a code for something.

Wait, what? Are you talking about the sticky note? Yes, it's a puzzle. It's quite easy really. But I'm not going to let the character figure it out until you do :P
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 06:25:23 pm »

"Any puzzle is extraordinarily simple to one who knows the solution."

Well, I know nothing of servers or Linux, so tell me, is there any particular form which root passwords must follow?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 06:30:29 pm »

"Any puzzle is extraordinarily simple to one who knows the solution."

Well, I know nothing of servers or Linux, so tell me, is there any particular form which root passwords must follow?

I don't either. I'm pretty sure it's just a password like any other. Comprised of letters. Forms a word.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 06:48:48 pm »

Can I help with the puzzle, since technically my character hasn't seen it?  I don't know how strict you're keeping this RP.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 06:51:47 pm »

Can I help with the puzzle, since technically my character hasn't seen it?  I don't know how strict you're keeping this RP.

Yeah. All RTD characters have weak dice-based reality-warping abilities and telepathy with other RTD characters.

EDIT:

I just told it to my chemist friend, he figured it out in a few seconds.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:18:39 pm by Schilcote »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 07:11:37 pm »

Sorry joined right before i went to sleep

I will in fact unlock the door

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 07:41:23 pm »

I am a rocket scientiest (ok, so I technically I work on spacecraft instruments, not rockets) and a mathematician, but I have no talent at all for puzzles.  I'll leave it for someone else to discover.

Improvise a voltmeter with random unnecessary hardware that's bound to be lying around.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 07:50:48 pm »

Hmm...
Improvise firefighting equipment, and announce the situation on local communication channel, wait for someone to unlock the door
Solved the puzzle:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And let others at server level know ASAP.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 10:24:37 pm »

Hey, if it's at all possible, write some dialouge. I need some characterization.

Toaster: I'll practice with the LART while Flintus unlocks the door for us (Assuming that's his plan.)
Nuker: Go to the terminal and check whats up.
Flintus:I will in fact unlock the door
Frelock: Improvise a voltmeter with random unnecessary hardware that's bound to be lying around.
Noticus: Improvise firefighting equipment, and announce the situation on local communication channel, wait for someone to unlock the door
Qwerty: Do a cursory examination of the server racks, incase there's something really obvious.

Flintus begins to pick the lock on the door. Someone screams on the other side, and Toaster smacks the doorhandle with his LART, busting it open.
Noticus rips a C02 canister off of a unused modeling workstation, then presses the button on his swiss army knife and visualises a large pair of pliers. The "knife" forms itself to the exact specifications he imagined, and he uses these two objects together to create a rudimentary fire extinguisher. He begins smothering flames near the door with the C02.

Meanwhile, in the print server room, the queue is expanding quickly. Frelock positions his Universal Screwdriver in front of some screws holding on the back panel of a disused VU meter, and makes some connections with his ColdHeat to create a voltmeter. The iron's battery has 49 uses left.

Qwertyuiopas begins to walk down the rows of racks looking for disconnected cables or blown-up blades.
Nuker types in the root password Noticus figured out. The terminal accepts the password and lets you into the root account.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 10:31:15 pm »

Code a quick program to search for damages.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32