Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32

Author Topic: RTD: Hell Desk  (Read 42076 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RTD: Hell Desk
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:00:25 pm »

You are an IT professional working in the most infamous sector of the business: Help Desk. The challenges are great, the pay is small, but your resume just isn't long enough to get anything else in your calling.

Even in the far future, IT is mostly the same; incompetent lusers manage to destroy their machines, and they call you. You, the chosen few, born with a special talent. An inborn intuition, an almost supernatural ability to operate, comprehend, and repair the electronic devices that make everything work.

Grab your LART and your caffeinated soap, 'cos the OSI Layer 8 is throwing up ID 10 Ts, and the problem is between the keyboard and the chair.
Welcome to the Hell Desk.

Yes, this is an RTD. You already know the basic rules. I may add a few more mechanics over time that should be self-obvious.

You are allowed at start:

+1 bonus in 3 of the following skills:

Programming/scripting
Charisma/personality
Observance
Hardware & network maintainance (comes with a Universal Screwdriver)
Handguns (includes Walther P99: 3 mags w/ 9 shots each)
Basic Electronics & Soldering (Includes ColdHeat soldering iron: lithium battery w/ 50 uses)
Lockpicking (DOES NOT include lockpicks: find a paperclip or make a bump key)
Improvisation (includes Futuristic Swiss Army Knife)
Melee weapons (Includes Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool)

You also start with:

A tie
A (cheap) cellular telephone
Two retractable pens (1 blue, 1 black)

No, I'm not abandoning Netland. It's just going kind of slow and I had a neat idea so I decided to put up another.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:04:45 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Hell Desk
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:12:55 pm »

I'll join up.
For starting skills:
Basic Electronics & Soldering (Includes ColdHeat soldering iron: lithium battery w/ 50 uses)

If it's hardware, I've got it down.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:39:46 pm »

Sure, since it strikes close to home.

Programming/scripting
Observance
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:36:14 pm »

Put me in.

Starting skills:
Programming/Scripting
Improvisation
Charisma/personality

Seems like a pretty stadard skill set for an average software engineer...You might not be able to work your way out, but you might talk your way out.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:28:42 pm by NoctisVampire »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:56:25 am »

In thanks

Skills:
Lockpicking
Hardware and network matainance
Handguns

A pretty suspicious skill-set for a software engineer but hopefully it will come in handy.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 08:02:59 am »

This could be cool... IM IN

SKILLS:
Programing/scripting

Let the fun start..

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 08:06:24 am »

IMPORTANT: I am away for a week, so all of my RTD games are on stop and all things im part of are on AI please. Sorry for this guys but its a school camp and i have to go =/

Umm...

EDIT:

Well, we have five six characters and each of the skills are represented, so I guess we can start.
Oh, and P.S.: Things are not always as they seem.

5 minutes before incident

Rrring... Rrring... Rrring...
Noticus: "Blarghh..."
*picks up phone*
Noticus: "HAVE YOU TRIED TURNING IT OFF AND ON AGAIN."
luser: "No..."
*hangs up*
Rrring... Rrring... Rring...
Noticus: *picks up phone* "HAVE YOU TRIED TURNING IT ON AND OFF AGAIN."
luser2: "Yes."
Noticus: "What's wrong with it?"
luser2: "I can't access the printerer. It is teh borken."
Noticus: "Can you connect to the print ser... Never mind." *nods to Nuker*
Nuker: *pings print server* "It's down."
Noticus: "The problem is the server, we'll send someone down to fix it."
luser2: "But I know the printerer is broken."
Noticus: "How?"
luser2: "Because it's on fire. Also, the doors won't open. I think doors are technical, right? They have these locky things, and I heard those were like computers. It's getting kind of hot in here too, and some of the people are passed out."
Noticus: (not into phone)"Why do they always tell you the important stuff last?"(into phone)"We'll send someone down to fix it." *hangs up*

Noticus: "Nuker, Frelock, Qwerty, go down and fix the print server. It's on level 1628. Toaster, Flintus and I will go down and fix the burning printer."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:20:10 am by Schilcote »
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:10:59 am »

Helldesk is not a good place to be, especially with this guy involved.

However, hopefully he isn't, so...

Programming/scripting

Would that go by an alternate name of "cattleprod"? Settings of "stun" or "stir-fry", with "stun" zapping the holder instead?
Eh?
Eh!

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 08:20:58 am »

Forgot about that.... on it

Sigh, and go to the elevator to go to lvl 1628

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 08:22:11 am »

Would that go by an alternate name of "cattleprod"? Settings of "stun" or "stir-fry", with "stun" zapping the holder instead?

No, that would be around a level 3 or 4 LART, artifact if it's the specific one created by the Bastard himself.
In this futuristic society, there's still a place for dimensional lumber, or a "clue-by-four".

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 08:27:19 am »

Hmm...Now action time!

Go to level 1628, then wait for someone to unlock the door.
EDIT1:Improvise firefighting equipment.
EDIT2:Oops...Replace action with:
Head to the burning printer whereever that is, wait for someone to unlock the door and improvise firefighting equipment.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:02:56 am by NoctisVampire »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 08:59:19 am »

What level are we on now? If it is only a few floors away, I would rather take the stairs(unless the stairwell is dark) than the elevator...
Rither way, proceed to level 1628.
Eh?
Eh!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 09:10:04 am »

Righto, boss.

Head to level...whatever level the printer's on.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 09:31:32 am »

What level are we on now? If it is only a few floors away, I would rather take the stairs(unless the stairwell is dark) than the elevator...
Rither way, proceed to level 1628.

The IT department usually works out of the basement. I don't think this building has stairs.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 12:36:54 pm »

You'll notice the lack of rolls. There is a reason for this; this is only the (ermm... what's the oppisite of epilouge?).

Turn 1:

Nuker: Sigh, and go to the elevator to go to lvl 1628
NoticusVampire: Head to the burning printer whereever that is, wait for someone to unlock the door and improvise firefighting equipment.
Toaster: Head to level...whatever level the printer's on.
Qwertyuiopas: Rither way, proceed to level 1628.
Flintus10(gm'd): GET TO THE CH- I mean, GET TO THE PRINTERER
Frelock(gm'd): Go to level 1628

Everyone crowds into one of two elevators, one going to 1628, the other going to 3496 where the printer fire is located.
The massive air compressors at the bottom of the shaft spin up, and the elevator cars rocket up at an incredible rate. As they approach their target floors, they begin to slow down, then suddenly halt as thick I-beams are forced into holes in the wall. The doors open and...

The party heading to the burning printer sees a long halway, large offices on either side. Office 3496-7021 is the one on fire. The door is locked.

The party heading to the print server sees an extremely large server room taking up the entire floor. This entire 200 rack server is devoted entirely to routing printing requests.
It's going to take a while to find the problem just by inspecting every blade. The terminal to access the server is beside the elevator. There is a sticky note on the side:

Root password:
51 a
103 e
38 c
200 t
67 p
62 r

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32