Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Default material selection for building Constructions  (Read 1367 times)

dSvenb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Default material selection for building Constructions
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:58:03 am »

Maybe I've missed it but I think it'd be great for the, well, material selection for building Constructions to auto-select the same material you used in your last construction. Mass building is generally pretty painless but re-selecting the same material every time always annoys me, especially when the type of construction is remembered.

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Default material selection for building Constructions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:40:33 am »

Eh. I just doubletap enter. It's not too hard, and I don't think it would be worth the time to add this.

Also it would probably be more annoying than the current system.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:08:27 am »

Eh. I just doubletap enter. It's not too hard, and I don't think it would be worth the time to add this.

Also it would probably be more annoying than the current system.

Generally, people do not want to end up with technicolor walls, not to mention shortcoming of making your construction from rare flux/fuel/metals/wood or using rough materials instead of blocks.

Anyway, it would be no difference for you - enter-enter would stay exactly same for you....

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:14:27 pm »

The list of materials should be viewable by closest material with distance (current), closest material of each valid type (organized alphabetically by type), and recently used materials (with quantity available in parentheses). The default of these would be whatever view you used last time. If a "recently used" material is no longer available it should be in the list, but switching between the views should maintain selection of the same material.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 05:11:47 pm »

And some kind of filter: blocks only, no metals, no ores, etc.

Being able to force a type of material to be always on top would be nice too.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.