Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Flak Cannon!  (Read 5582 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flak Cannon!
« on: May 22, 2010, 09:13:12 pm »

Is it possible to have a room full of serrated weapon traps and deer, cause a nearby cave-in to turn the deer into various deer pieces, use water pressure to transport the finely minced deer onto a nearby drawbridge, and raise the bridge, creating a deer-tilery to the aggressors below?

If the physics are possible, I'll set out to make it.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Flak Cannon!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 09:20:21 pm »

...Hold on, are you seriously suggesting making a device which rips apart a deer, pushes the remains on a drawbridge, and launches it upwards, before it crashes to earth covering invaders with deer guts?

It's insane! There's no magma mine layer attachment! It'll never work.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 09:25:19 pm »

Yes, but it won't do any damage and it doesn't require a cave-in.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:26:23 pm »

You CAN do just that. and it would be the dwarfiest contraption ever, since it doesn't DO anything.

Body parts or any other random item cannot be used to harm things unfortunately. Best off making catapults/ballistae and attempting to use them to some effect. (also probably won't harm anything)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 09:37:42 pm »

Oh wow, I didn't mean bridge-a-paulting the flak, but that idea alone is amazing! I mean't dropping the meaty bits down a z level, so the goblin 'was struck down by a flying object'
While talking to AJ:

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:40:32 pm »

BEHOLD THE non-POWER OF THE BRIDGEAPULT!

Code: [Select]
* means wall
+ means floor

zx+3

***#***

#=Floor Grate holding sacrifices

zx+2

***+***
***+***
***X***
***^***

X=floodgate
^=weapon trap

zx+1

** ╬ **

╬=retracting bridge

zx

**^*^**
**%*%**
<%   %>
<%   %>
**%*%**
**V*V**

^ %
<% %> % V = screw pumps (don't want water in our gore)

z0

++g++++
++++g++
g+ggg+g
+gg*g++
++ggggg
+gg+g++
+++++++

Goblin scum...

AKA The Urist brand Flak Cannon.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:08:59 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 10:00:18 pm »

I found that this was'nt possible when i was thought a rock had landed and killed my last male dog while making a stone transport contraption
Some one who knew better said i was lieing(which, i was unknowingly due to being a ponce), but the dog did die, i just think it may have been flung of the bridge or killed by some other unforseen force.
you can imagine how mortifide i was when i was almost instantly called out  :-\

Also i belive theres a wiki on the magma canon, if you're interested in making artillery!

Long story short
Wont work, sorry mate.
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 10:01:17 pm »

Oh wow, I didn't mean bridge-a-paulting the flak, but that idea alone is amazing! I mean't dropping the meaty bits down a z level, so the goblin 'was struck down by a flying object'

unfortunately they won't be struck down by flying objects unless the object is a projectile, which only happens when it is launched from a seige weapon or handheld weapon as ammo, but you CAN drop constructed floors on them. Build multiple levels, and have them drop one at a time from bottom to top until the enemy is thoroughly smitten.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 10:04:20 pm »

I vaguely recall a few dwarves who died while mining, some were killed by the collapse, and I'm fairly sure a couple died from 'colliding in midair with an object'

Am I just imagining this then?
While talking to AJ:

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 10:07:18 pm »

"colliding with an object" means they crashed into a wall.

Anyway, flak cannon idea is awesome! Ok sure, it won't actually do damage, but that's a minor detail! If you were looking to make deer bits do damage, you'd have to mod some sort of custom crossbow or ballista which fired deer bone and such as ammo. I'm not sure whether you can specify it has to exactly be deer bone or even if you can specify body parts as ammo in the first place.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 10:12:38 pm »

Although I've tried, I've never gotten a catapult to actually hit an enemy, making it useless in combat. If it were, however, I'd mod in skulls.
While talking to AJ:

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 10:14:02 pm »

Although I've tried, I've never gotten a catapult to actually hit an enemy, making it useless in combat. If it were, however, I'd mod in skulls.

I am now renaming every non-economic stone in my game "skull" and firing them out of catapults.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 12:35:38 am »

I am now renaming every non-economic stone in my game "skull" and firing them out of catapults.
YOU HAVE STRUCK SKULL!

This is a superior quality skull statue of skulls. The skulls are sitting.

The flying skull hits the goblin in the head, tearing the flesh, lacerating the muscle and jamming the skull through the brain!
Goblin has been struck down.

Most dwarfy mod ever.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 12:40:57 am »

or just set deer homeotherm to something outrageous. though that has risks in and of itself...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 12:43:23 am »

or just set deer homeotherm to something outrageous. though that has risks in and of itself...

Forest fires?

Pages: [1] 2 3