Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anthropology project! Responses appreciated.  (Read 4274 times)

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Anthropology project! Responses appreciated.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 08:19:30 pm »

1. Pretty much daily these days, but it goes in spurts, yes. New releases or mad ideas keeps me glued for days on end, in a way not quite unlike manic obsession.

2. In real life or on MSN, mostly. I've got very nerdy friends, and even though a lot of them shun away from DF due to graphics, interface or otherwise, they mostly appreciate the storytelling this game brings.

3. Yea, see above.

4. It's unfolding. I might have some idea of how I want it when I start, but there's so many random factors that it's pretty hard to predetermine the story much. I do make special care to make !!good!! things happen if I feel it flows with the general story so far, though, rather than going for a prosperous, perfect fort.

5. No tileset, but I do use Stonesense through DFHack which I tab through every once in a while. I started using it to show it to others, actually, as the regular UNICODE graphics are a bit too abstract for most, but it's nice for my own case to get a nice isometric view of that fort or those death pits. For music, I tend to just use the in-game music. If I'm feeling particularly heroic and/or doomed, I'll mute it and swap it for some the Sword instead.

6. The little I have, yes. I've got a few friends on MSN I keep pestering about various forts and events. I've got a notepad with various dwarvly scribblings, and also uploaded one fort story on DFFD which I felt wasn't too bad in the moment.

7. I envision them, gloriously, but I rarely respond directly to their stories. I do greatly enjoy especially fanart related to DF though - the fan art competition thread is a goldmine.

8. Not unless I keep the world, no. With the changes made after 31.18 and the problems of finding good embarks, I usually end up destroying worlds after one or two embarks. Ideally, I'd want to keep a world and have it progress, so it'd be able to form a long, semi-coherent story, but simple frustration due to finding good sites has put that off for now.

9. Drawing, gaming (digital and otherwise) as well as continuing on my RPG / low fantasy project. Working at a library, with a bachelors in media studies.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:24:32 pm by rawrcakes »
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

skrimshander

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 04:32:57 pm »

Thanks a lot everyone!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 05:33:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:08:47 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 05:42:18 pm »

1. I play in spurts.  While I was in school I played about 20 hours a week when I was into it.  Now that I'm working it's hard for me to do more than 3-4 hours per week.

2. I interact with players mostly through this forum and through succession games.  I've tried getting my friends hooked, but with the exception of the person that got me into DF, no one I know has been able to really give it a go.

3. See above.  Most of my meatspace friends know I love this game, and we talk about it sometimes, but 98% of the time I'm online when I'm talking about it.

4.  I approach the game from more of an architectural standpoint.  When I tell a story it's definitely something that I feel I need to impose.  That said, once I start looking for a story, the level of detail in the game makes it really easy to find/make material.

5.  No, I almost exclusively play the vanilla install.  The one exception was that I would play the Dig Deeper mod for 40d for the added challenge back before DF 2010 came out.  Now, though, I feel like the difficulty level is perfect without any changes.

6.  Only in the context of succession games.  Like I said above, I prefer megaprojects and interesting architectural projects to writing narratives or creating my own art.

7.  I used to spend quite a bit of time reading through succession and community fortress threads.  I've cut that down in the last year or two because (1) I have much less time now and (2) I felt that a lot of the material I was reading got to be repetitive or derivative.  I do still run across well-written stories that I really love, though.

8.  Only when playing multiple succession fortresses with the same players.  Actually, that's one of my favorite parts: seeing how people I "know" online deal with different situations.

9.  My interests are pretty broad.  I have the standard dorky interests in science fiction, comic books, video games, manga/anime, board games.  I love to ski.  I consider myself something of a foodie.  I'm a corporate/securities attorney at a large law firm, so the 70 hour weeks I've been working since finishing school last year haven't left me with much time to enjoy my hobbies (other than food).
At last, she is done.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 06:30:16 pm »

1. I try to play more or less constantly, but in practice I play more sporadically. Recently, more because I've been working on my Savages' Stronghold mod.

2. Occasional succession/community games, when I don't have mods or RL things to work on; I also work on mods occasionally, like my current project, before releasing them to the public. I also read and write interesting stories.

3. Sometimes. My brother hates it (he's more of an FPS type, but I've occasionally convinced him to play a little...not that he ever has for more than a couple in-game weeks), and a few of my friends seem vaguely interested.

4. Yes, of course.

5. Not really.

6. Yep. I was working on an ongoing story called "Theft from a Tower," but it's fallen kinda by the wayside.

7. Usually positively, or by posts, depending on what exactly you mean.

8. Not really, except for some exceptions, like if I reclaim forts or try throwing more adventurers at a task. Of couse, I usually delete worlds partway through their first fortress.

9. Fantasy, sci-fi, science (especially biology), tabletop role-playing games, a couple other computer games, literature (especially classic sci-fi), and...those are the big ones.

You're welcome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 03:54:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38:32 am »

1. How often do you play? Is Dwarf Fortress a fairly consistent activity or do you go in spurts?

Spurts.  When I have little time, I hardly play at all.  When I have time, I play a lot.

2. Given that this is a strictly single-player game (succession games notwithstanding), how do you interact with other players?

The forums and, to a lesser degree, the wiki.

3. Do you ever play/discuss the game with friends in real life?

Very rarely.  My cousin's kids are the only ones who even play and I don't see them that often.

4.Do you feel a sense of narrative—a "story unfolding" if you will—while playing or is that something to actively seek out?

It's something you have to create, at least for me.  Sure, there's a lot beyond my control, but I feel like I'm the one directing things to a large degree.

5. Do you augment your own playing experience in any way (graphic tilesets, outside music, etc.)?

Just the Mayday tileset + DF hack & therapist.

6. Do you create and share your own DF stories/art?

Does having a box full of Saguaro rib wood from investigating RL material properties for DF count? :)

7. How do you respond to stories/narratives/illustrations that other people have posted?

I like to read them to get a sense of how other people play the game.

8. Besides the fact that multiple fortresses can exist in the same generated world, do you feel a kind of historical cohesiveness between multiple games?

I usually do one fortress per world, so not really.  I'm generally trying to build something, rather than exploring the local history, so I don't spend much time in legends mode.

9. What other interests do you have? Books/movies/games/fields of expertise?

Most of my other interests have to do with computers & games.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 08:06:06 am »

Haven't read any other replies (first one excepting, which may have a point - but I'm not sure), save to see that people have done...  Hopefully I'm not just repeating.

1. How often do you play? Is Dwarf Fortress a fairly consistent activity or do you go in spurts?
I think 'spurts' covers it.  When I do, often obsessively, and then I may appreciate this (or have something else to obsess over, or even stop procrastinating about something else) and cut it back a whole lot.  Currently I'm in a low-activity period, but still do an hours or two of gameplay per session (probably between a month and a season's-worth of in-game time, given my micromanagement).

2. Given that this is a strictly single-player game (succession games notwithstanding), how do you interact with other players?Purely via this forum, in matters DF-related and otherwise.  No sharing of forts.  I have so far uploaded one map to the usual resource, and consider that this as far too low a "paying it back" contribution to the community.

3. Do you ever play/discuss the game with friends in real life?
Rarely.  Friends, relatives and colleagues have been talked to about aspects of the games.  One friend complains that searches for Warhammer-style Dwarves' fortress designs is hard to Google and considers me mad to play this.  Colleagues tend to ask "Are you killing dwarves again?" whenever I've got anything (could be Kingdom of Loathing, various other web-games, a MUD that I play) on my screen, in a way they intend to be annoying (as a comparison, they also ask "Have you done it yet?", of anybody and everybody, without specifying what "it" is... or caring...  you've got to have a duck's back around here... ;) ).  I may mention DF-style geology to family, but then we've got a bit of an armchair-geology vibe going on in my family (among other things).

I may have persuaded a couple of people to start up DF (although one of these was already heavily into Minecraft, so I suspect he's not stuck with it).

4.Do you feel a sense of narrative—a "story unfolding" if you will—while playing or is that something to actively seek out?
I'm going to say "no", here.  I've too much of a designer-mentality.  There is an aim and a plan, and unexpected events are an impediment to this, while events that are anticipated (though uncertain) are catered for by said plans.  OTOH, occasionally I've had a tale I can tell.  Even if it's only speculation about "Ninja Hippos!" as what's happening for a given bug.  (Search for it. ;) )

5. Do you augment your own playing experience in any way (graphic tilesets, outside music, etc.)?
Raw, native DF, only.  Minor configuration changes only (water-depths as numbers is the most relevant to this question, plus expanding from 80x25 to 120x50 tiles on the window).

6. Do you create and share your own DF stories/art?
Apart from the aforementioned map and the occasional long-winded and not necessarily on-topic anecdote, not really.  I find myself rather asocial, in this regard, despite the general volume of my contributions to the forum.

7. How do you respond to stories/narratives/illustrations that other people have posted?
I laugh, I cry, I...  Well, maybe I laugh.  I quite enjoy tales told with the intention of providing Schadenfreude (sp?).  I also appreciate screenshots (though can struggle a bit to understand parts of some non-default tileset versions).

8. Besides the fact that multiple fortresses can exist in the same generated world, do you feel a kind of historical cohesiveness between multiple games?Well.. they can't, not at the same time.  Insofar as active player-structures, anyway.

But, aside from that, I generate new worlds for new versions of the game, there's quite a few abandoned (or, rather, discontinued, but still playable) worlds in my own playing history.  I appreciate each individual history, but apart from per fortress-instance (while ever it's played) or Adventurer career (as long as I play him), I really don't consider it anything other than "worlds with (roughly!) the same physical laws and societal norms".  I may copy a worldgen so that I can Adventure and Fortress-build in the same land, but not in any way that interactions occur between the two.  I rarely abandon (as opposed to leave going mouldy, on my hard drive) a fortress embark, and so it's been a long time since I've (even accidentally) Adventurered onto a self-shaped area of landscape.

9. What other interests do you have? Books/movies/games/fields of expertise?
I'm probably a geek-of-all-seasons in both leisure and work.

Pages: 1 [2]