Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vote for your favorite Obsidian 3D Visualizer logo!

Sizik - Cast obsidian statue -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- 3 (2.8%)
Bloogonis - Obsidian sphere -
- 0 (0%)
ITnetlolor - Obsidian text -
- 1 (0.9%)
Rotten - Stone with text -
- 3 (2.8%)
Djohaal - Gold spiked sphere -
- 11 (10.4%)
Djohaal - Minimalist gradient sphere -
- 6 (5.7%)
soundandfury - Sphere and word over lava -
- 2 (1.9%)
bmaczero - Stone slab -
- 1 (0.9%)
Adamantine Fist - Obsidian eye (halftone) -
- 3 (2.8%)
Adamantine Fist - Obsidian eye -
- 6 (5.7%)
xobl1v10nx - Magma disk -
- 25 (23.6%)
GFXiNXS - Blood-soaked Volcano vista -
- 9 (8.5%)
GFXiNXS - Dark blood-soaked Volcano vista -
- 32 (30.2%)
BManx2000 - Obsidian shortsword -
- 4 (3.8%)
ITnetlolor - Obsidian text 2 -
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Obsidian: Competitions - GFXiNXS for the logo win!  (Read 22101 times)

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes obsidian for its shinyness
    • View Profile
Obsidian: Competitions - GFXiNXS for the logo win!
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:44:17 am »

I was thinking the first Obsidian competition (I like those - they stimulate the users into awesomeness) will be:

Design a logo for Obsidian!

Yeah, I need a logo for the splash screen.

Your prize - you can sign the image and go in the credits and one day when thousands of players use this tool (here's to hoping), your work will be the first thing they see.

Your inspiration:

This is an obsidian logo. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of Lua. It is encircled with bands of OpenGL. On the item is an image of a fortress. The fortress is being rendered in 3D.

I don't know how much time the artists will need, so I'm going to wait until we have at least 3 serious entries, before I add a poll to see who is the winner. If more time is needed, just yell.

P.S. You can also use this as an excuse to get any artistic person introduced into the wonderful world of alcoholic suicidal midgets, so spread the word, please?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:32:53 am by Skeggox »
Dwarf Fortress - "It's like if Tolkien taught your Geology 101 class, but you were drunk and playing the Sims during the lecture. Then you had a dream that got them all confused."

Obsidian 3D Visualizer Toolset - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Obsidian
A Lua-riffic collection of modules to render, manipulate, save and generally mess with your forts.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian: Competitions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:06:26 pm »

I'm definitely throwing my hand into this. still very much WIP but here is what Im going for. what do y'all think?

Edit: I plan to make the background more Magma'y and work of giving the Obsidian sphere more dimension. this makes me sad that I still haven't replaced my tablet  :'(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:14:44 pm by Bloogonis »

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 01:27:03 pm »

Wow...

The first post didn't even have time to settle in, make itself a nice cup of tea, or read the funnies in the newspaper before the first entry sneak peak arrived!

And looking very good too, so far!
Dwarf Fortress - "It's like if Tolkien taught your Geology 101 class, but you were drunk and playing the Sims during the lecture. Then you had a dream that got them all confused."

Obsidian 3D Visualizer Toolset - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Obsidian
A Lua-riffic collection of modules to render, manipulate, save and generally mess with your forts.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 03:53:50 pm »

I'm doing something very similar to Bloogonis's idea, however on 3dsmax...
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 04:30:11 pm »

I submit my cast obsidian statue.

Except, of course, rendered using Obsidian.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:47:07 pm »

I submit my cast obsidian statue.

Except, of course, rendered using Obsidian.
could you tilt that a bit to the left or right? I couldn't tell what it was until i noticed the top looked kinda like a helmet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:34:51 am »

I'm doing something very similar to Bloogonis's idea, however on 3dsmax...
Bah, I knew I should have said something before I started work on it, My Paint.net skills were failing me since I don't have a tablet and only a touch-pad mouse. So I started making a 3d sphere in Blender. I made the mistake of animating it an then hitting the render button so I am delayed for a bit.

Well a little competition never hurt anyone, and that's what this is right.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 12:50:13 am »

This sounds like an interesting challenge.

Initial thought I have is hashing together some text of OBSIDIAN rendered to look like the texture (sorta like obsidian arrowheads; font looking similar in boldness/form; simple to pull off in Photoshop). Maybe using a photo-reference, or at least attempt to mimic it as if the text was made of it. That's my thought at least.

I might try to mock up something tomorrow if I have the time.

@Sizik: IMHO you can use a better font for that. The font seems too fine for the content. We can combine efforts, considering if my idea works out.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:57:07 am by Itnetlolor »

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 12:51:12 am »

Out of pure curiosity, why choose a sphere?

Is it because of the material display spheres made famous by 3D Studio Max (I think)?

Or was it pure coinkidink?

As for Sizik's statue - if it wins the competition we'll have to go recursive and actually render it with Obsidian (once it can, of course) :)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 01:39:16 am »

...I've got an idea, just need a little time to work on it... silly tablet drivers need reinstalling. >.<
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 02:15:51 am »

Well here it is, I should get some rest since I have class tomorrow. again still wip, but less so then the first image.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 08:30:32 am »

One night's work, I don't like the cracks though, it looks more like basalt at this stage, the displacement has too much grain and noise. I need to do some adjustments.

It has bands and spikes thought  :P

I'll add the obsidan logo and etc later, and it'll be rendered in higher resolution too.

Originally (and I'm still considering it) I thought about something like a badge made of obsidian (think of Urist's holy order of Obsidian :P ) but for now I like this intruging tingmagjing with bands and menancing spikes and cracks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:33:28 am by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 12:00:45 pm »

For those that've never seen it, real obsidian.
It's got a nice smooth, glassy quality. (Which it is, actually. Dwarves are just awesome enough to carve it like stone.)

(Also: You may note I have no qualms about leaching an image from "answersincreation.org".)
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 12:36:16 pm »

For my image I was using Obsidian Spheres as my muse.
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=obsidian%20sphere&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Humans also made lots of art using Obsidian. Prime examples are the Aztecs.

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 01:24:05 pm »

I love the smell of real talent in the morning!

8)

I lost a small skirmish against Obsidian last night when the OSG (the rendering tech I'm planning to use) refused to bind itself to Lua. I tried two methods, but nope. Grrr...

Then I saw Djohaal's entry... and was inspired.

A bloody-nosed OSG is now obediently setting up a scene when I ask for it, and whilst the camera node still attempts to bite me each chance it gets, I've got it wrapped in masterwork chains of Lua.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9