Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vote for your favorite Obsidian 3D Visualizer logo!

Sizik - Cast obsidian statue -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- 3 (2.8%)
Bloogonis - Obsidian sphere -
- 0 (0%)
ITnetlolor - Obsidian text -
- 1 (0.9%)
Rotten - Stone with text -
- 3 (2.8%)
Djohaal - Gold spiked sphere -
- 11 (10.4%)
Djohaal - Minimalist gradient sphere -
- 6 (5.7%)
soundandfury - Sphere and word over lava -
- 2 (1.9%)
bmaczero - Stone slab -
- 1 (0.9%)
Adamantine Fist - Obsidian eye (halftone) -
- 3 (2.8%)
Adamantine Fist - Obsidian eye -
- 6 (5.7%)
xobl1v10nx - Magma disk -
- 25 (23.6%)
GFXiNXS - Blood-soaked Volcano vista -
- 9 (8.5%)
GFXiNXS - Dark blood-soaked Volcano vista -
- 32 (30.2%)
BManx2000 - Obsidian shortsword -
- 4 (3.8%)
ITnetlolor - Obsidian text 2 -
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Obsidian: Competitions - GFXiNXS for the logo win!  (Read 22293 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Obsidian: Competitions - GFXiNXS for the logo win!
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2010, 03:51:16 pm »

Resampled.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes obsidian for its shinyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2010, 03:53:55 pm »

My portrait image is the actual icon for Obsidian, kindly provided by Janus.

Reducing the magma disk down to 64 and less will lose too much detail, I think.

Currently, Obsidian consists of a terminal console, a rendering window and a loading splash screen.

What we could do is use GFXiNS' submissions as the splash screen and credits background, and then use the others as the background for the rendering window and terminal console.

That depends on how colored text will look superimposed on the disk or sphere...

This will all be user configurable through the config.lua file, of course :)
Dwarf Fortress - "It's like if Tolkien taught your Geology 101 class, but you were drunk and playing the Sims during the lecture. Then you had a dream that got them all confused."

Obsidian 3D Visualizer Toolset - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Obsidian
A Lua-riffic collection of modules to render, manipulate, save and generally mess with your forts.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2010, 06:06:50 pm »

I can provide a textless version of the gold spike if you wanna overlay dynamic text on it
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes obsidian for its shinyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2010, 08:28:41 pm »

Sweet.

I'll have to leave that as a stretch goal for later, though. I know Linux can easily set the backgrounds for terminal console windows, but I'm not so sure Windows can. If Window's can't do it easily, I'll have to implement a custom graphical console, which is a luxury feature atm.

But I'm all for having sweet eyecandy in Obsidian. It makes a big difference in feel and polish, compared to a simple text-only tool.

So hang on to the source for that image...
Dwarf Fortress - "It's like if Tolkien taught your Geology 101 class, but you were drunk and playing the Sims during the lecture. Then you had a dream that got them all confused."

Obsidian 3D Visualizer Toolset - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Obsidian
A Lua-riffic collection of modules to render, manipulate, save and generally mess with your forts.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2010, 09:43:56 pm »

Hey again guys. Logos are provided below. I've been playing around with a less 'glossy' version of the obsidian, though I'm not really satisfied with how it's working out. If I get around to being remotely happy with it, I'll post it for opinions' sake.

Thanks for all your votes :)

With obsidian:
Without obsidian:
Trialling as a header:
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2010, 03:49:03 am »

A thought regarding the orb being used for credits: Perhaps one way to do this would be to simply have a render without the orb as an overlay, and sandwich the text between this overlay and a backing that completes the image.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]