Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vote for your favorite Obsidian 3D Visualizer logo!

Sizik - Cast obsidian statue -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- 3 (2.8%)
Bloogonis - Obsidian sphere -
- 0 (0%)
ITnetlolor - Obsidian text -
- 1 (0.9%)
Rotten - Stone with text -
- 3 (2.8%)
Djohaal - Gold spiked sphere -
- 11 (10.4%)
Djohaal - Minimalist gradient sphere -
- 6 (5.7%)
soundandfury - Sphere and word over lava -
- 2 (1.9%)
bmaczero - Stone slab -
- 1 (0.9%)
Adamantine Fist - Obsidian eye (halftone) -
- 3 (2.8%)
Adamantine Fist - Obsidian eye -
- 6 (5.7%)
xobl1v10nx - Magma disk -
- 25 (23.6%)
GFXiNXS - Blood-soaked Volcano vista -
- 9 (8.5%)
GFXiNXS - Dark blood-soaked Volcano vista -
- 32 (30.2%)
BManx2000 - Obsidian shortsword -
- 4 (3.8%)
ITnetlolor - Obsidian text 2 -
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Obsidian: Competitions - GFXiNXS for the logo win!  (Read 22297 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Obsidian: Competitions
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 02:06:57 pm »

I love the smell of real talent in the morning!

8)

I lost a small skirmish against Obsidian last night when the OSG (the rendering tech I'm planning to use) refused to bind itself to Lua. I tried two methods, but nope. Grrr...

Then I saw Djohaal's entry... and was inspired.

A bloody-nosed OSG is now obediently setting up a scene when I ask for it, and whilst the camera node still attempts to bite me each chance it gets, I've got it wrapped in masterwork chains of Lua.

Talent? No. More like over five years of work learning 3d. Glad to know I helped with motivation :D
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 07:14:43 pm »

Okay. Finally got some time to mock up something. Seeing as I'm going the typographic route, and also considering the difference between readability and style, I made 2 versions of the logo. There are the full-size ones to work with, as well as a reduced screen-size version of them.

Here they are:
Spoiler: Full Scale (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Reduced (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:16:39 pm by Itnetlolor »

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes obsidian for its shinyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 07:46:58 pm »

Looks like we have a few contenders :)

Right, to those who have entered so far - how much time do you need?

I'm thinking of making the new entry deadline one week from now, with an additional week to finish before we vote.

(I have no idea what a good period of time is - let me hear your thoughts!)
Dwarf Fortress - "It's like if Tolkien taught your Geology 101 class, but you were drunk and playing the Sims during the lecture. Then you had a dream that got them all confused."

Obsidian 3D Visualizer Toolset - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Obsidian
A Lua-riffic collection of modules to render, manipulate, save and generally mess with your forts.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 07:52:04 pm »

Unless I get crazy with perfectionist ideas I think one week is enough.

So far I have a pretty render in the works, however if I run out of ideas on how to put the "obisidan" title on it then i'll probably be up to some collab work
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 08:12:28 pm »

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 12:38:20 am »

Inspired by Bloogonis' first attempt, though rather unfinished as of yet:

It's very simple at this point, and I plan on making a great deal of refinement, including text. More of a concept than anything.
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 12:46:08 am »

Inspired by Bloogonis' first attempt, though rather unfinished as of yet:

It's very simple at this point, and I plan on making a great deal of refinement, including text. More of a concept than anything.
That is cool.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 10:43:27 am »

Well, after some tinkering, here's my entry. A bit oversized and with bad ratio, but we can always crop it to fit different monitor sizes. I always overshoot my renders.

This is an obsidian logo. All craftdjohaalship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of progressive path tracing. It is encircled with bands of sloppy photoshop. On the item is an image of a fortress. The fortress is being rendered in 3D.

@Itnetlolor: D'oh, we used the same damn font! And to think I went to google to download it, is it "Cloister Black" the name of that font you used?

Also, tadpoles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 10:46:36 am »

Oh dear god Djohaal. That is awesome.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 10:59:58 am »

No offense Djohaal (it looks like it took you a while to create those gold spikes). But I think it would look vastly better without those golden bits attached to the obsidian sphere. The net of the fortress inside the obsidian is a really good stroke though.

Just my £0.02 :)
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 11:06:09 am »

No offense Djohaal (it looks like it took you a while to create those gold spikes). But I think it would look vastly better without those golden bits attached to the obsidian sphere. The net of the fortress inside the obsidian is a really good stroke though.

I like them. They look like they're securing the orb in place. They also make it look like some sort of cosmic keystone.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 12:02:06 pm »

Like this?

This was a 10-minute render, mind the noise....

I kind of like it, looks a little minimalist, however I think the golden stuff gives it a little more imposition, not to mention a little distraction from the otherwise monotonous reflection patterns.
I don't know, if people end liking this one more I might do a proper render of it as a secondary version.

Also, tadpoles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 12:04:06 pm »

Keep the spikes at least. This is DF, it has to menace with spikes.

Skeggox

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes obsidian for its shinyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 12:23:48 pm »

Djohaal, I keep trying to write a proper post about how awesome your entry is... but... I keep... getting distra... wow.

You are more than welcome to throw the spike-less version in as a second entry (although I reaaally like the spikes), there is no hard limit on entries per person (within reason, of course).

What about a third entry, keeping the three spikes but dropping the support columns?

We'll let the community decide through voting.

So, the first official enty is in. For the rest of the competitors, Djohaal has set the bar, let us see if you can do better.  :D

Speaking of which, I'm setting the entry deadline to Friday, 12pm Pacific Standard Time. I'll throw up a poll on this thread and give everyone the weekend to vote.
The poll will close and the winning entry be chosen on Sunday night, 10pm PST.
Dwarf Fortress - "It's like if Tolkien taught your Geology 101 class, but you were drunk and playing the Sims during the lecture. Then you had a dream that got them all confused."

Obsidian 3D Visualizer Toolset - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Obsidian
A Lua-riffic collection of modules to render, manipulate, save and generally mess with your forts.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 12:37:32 pm »

Crappily knocked together in GIMP:
Spoiler: Large, 3162x1020 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Small, 800x258 (click to show/hide)

It does have a fort being rendered on it, in the middle of the O; it is in fact taken from a 3-D view in DF Designer.  However, since DFD's 3d view is fairly shitty, I've been careful to make it unobtrusive through the power of translucence.

My obsidian texture is basically made of fragments of mandelbrots (from my own bastard crazy mandelbrot render), while the magma is from one of GIMP's built-in plugins ("Lava").
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9