Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vote for your favorite Obsidian 3D Visualizer logo!

Sizik - Cast obsidian statue -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- 3 (2.8%)
Bloogonis - Obsidian sphere -
- 0 (0%)
ITnetlolor - Obsidian text -
- 1 (0.9%)
Rotten - Stone with text -
- 3 (2.8%)
Djohaal - Gold spiked sphere -
- 11 (10.4%)
Djohaal - Minimalist gradient sphere -
- 6 (5.7%)
soundandfury - Sphere and word over lava -
- 2 (1.9%)
bmaczero - Stone slab -
- 1 (0.9%)
Adamantine Fist - Obsidian eye (halftone) -
- 3 (2.8%)
Adamantine Fist - Obsidian eye -
- 6 (5.7%)
xobl1v10nx - Magma disk -
- 25 (23.6%)
GFXiNXS - Blood-soaked Volcano vista -
- 9 (8.5%)
GFXiNXS - Dark blood-soaked Volcano vista -
- 32 (30.2%)
BManx2000 - Obsidian shortsword -
- 4 (3.8%)
ITnetlolor - Obsidian text 2 -
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Obsidian: Competitions - GFXiNXS for the logo win!  (Read 22283 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian: Competitions
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 12:40:22 pm »

Keep the spikes at least. This is DF, it has to menace with spikes.
Seconded.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 12:44:03 pm »

correction; spikes and hanging rings is dwarf fortress. I saw no such thing. :D
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 12:47:24 pm »

Hanging rings are actually near-worthless to the dwarves ingame. Encircled with bands is more proper. Hanging rings are valuable to the elves.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 12:54:49 pm »

Hanging rings are actually near-worthless to the dwarves ingame. Encircled with bands is more proper. Hanging rings are valuable to the elves.

And hanging elves are valuable to, well, everyone!
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 01:09:40 pm »

I'm no artist, but wanted to toss this out there:

This is an obsidian sword (macahuitl) similar one might think to what our dwarves apparently can make.  The Aztecs used them.

Taken from wikipedia, I did not create it.  Looks like some sort of old dictionary or encyclopedia image.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:11:15 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 03:29:21 pm »

I'll try doing a better minimalistic obsidian orb. I already did a series on spheres that was quite nice...

http://djohaal.deviantart.com/art/Soul-90954620?q=gallery%3ADjohaal%2F4857490&qo=83
http://djohaal.deviantart.com/art/Mind-90937615?q=gallery%3ADjohaal%2F4857490&qo=84
http://djohaal.deviantart.com/art/Body-91072182?q=gallery%3ADjohaal%2F4857490&qo=82

Already tried. It looks awful, sorry but it'll be with spikes and bands and supports only.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:21:10 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 06:59:13 pm »

Pardon the delayed response.

Our fonts are similar, but not the same. Old English Text MT was the font I used. I don't remember if it came with PS or not. I like how it turned out. You do have permission to see if it works with your image. I already made the background transparent, and I also have the two scale-versions posted as well, so you can fit it how you like.

Any advice regarding adjustments to it is welcome BTW. I'm only doing typographic art for it, since that can make or break certain images as a whole. So, just putting it out there, if you think it'll work, you're welcome to use either one or give me pointers on what you need.

EDIT:
Oh, and 1 vote for spikes; but can you render it minus a background (transparent)? Seeing as it serves as a splash screen.

EDIT EDIT:
I did a really quick mockup of your image with my typography. Just add a bit of an outer glow to my contribution, and it actually looks nicer and makes it more visible. Just don't have the glow too bright, otherwise it'll take away from the texture of the type; not as if the reduced scale didn't do enough. About a 45% glow should work. Visible up close, and still visible when reduced in scale.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:11:22 pm by Itnetlolor »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 07:05:25 pm »

Pardon the delayed response.

Our fonts are similar, but not the same. Old English Text MT was the font I used. I don't remember if it came with PS or not. I like how it turned out. You do have permission to see if it works with your image. I already made the background transparent, and I also have the two scale-versions posted as well, so you can fit it how you like.

Any advice regarding adjustments to it is welcome BTW. I'm only doing typographic art for it, since that can make or break certain images as a whole. So, just putting it out there, if you think it'll work, you're welcome to use either one or give me pointers on what you need.

EDIT:
Oh, and 1 vote for spikes; but can you render it minus a background (transparent)? Seeing as it serves as a splash screen.

If you can think a way of improving the typography of the obsidian title I did, be welcome (I'm tinkering with it right now actually).

I'm not going to change the design as it is because a simple standing black orb reminds me too much of the palantir (oddly with all the golden tinjgamigs it doesn't O_O) however I can churn out an alpha mask for it, however it'll look weird because then it'll be reflecting a nonexistent enviroment. Fresnel reflections in spheres and such get weird without a underlying background.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2010, 07:17:11 pm »

What kind of improvements to the type do you think I need to make? Better font for certain letters? Better kerning?

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 07:28:34 pm »

Added a black background (it can be cropped to anything) and adjusted the letters a little (added a subtle fade so they look like to be "in" the orb, and not overlaid). The background looks weird without its orangy glory though.

Itnetlolor: I asked for your insight on my awful typography, not the opposite  :o I think we had a language crash there.

Also, tadpoles.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 07:58:35 pm »

I'm going to do something for this, after I have dinner, read this thread, and figure out what Obsidian is  ;).
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 08:13:13 pm »

Itnetlolor: I asked for your insight on my awful typography, not the opposite  :o I think we had a language crash there.
Right, sorry about that. :facepalm:

It's pretty good as it is, I guess you can add either a lighter or darker fill to it to give it a little extra dimension, maybe scooch it over a few pixels to the right (center it horizontally a bit). All aside, it fits the style quite well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:16:04 pm by Itnetlolor »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 08:16:14 pm »

Right, sorry about that. :facepalm:

It's pretty good as it is, I guess you can add either a lighter or darker fill to it to give it a little extra dimension. All aside, it fits the style quite well.

I think I'll fix that mini-fortress lattice in there. It looks like a huge mess at most spots, and one can only figure out it means galleries due to the longer ones extending around.

Also, tadpoles.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 08:54:51 pm »

Well, here's my first go.  I don't know how to compete with Djohaal, but I'll try (kind of :p)

The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2010, 08:57:44 pm »

Ohh, me likes the letters
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9