Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

science lab

(1/2) > >>

Naz:
I'm setting up a science lab at the bottom of my really really big/deep ossuary and I'm wondering something. In the event of a water spill will the dwarves clean it up once it gets to a depth of 1/7?

Fourdots:
Nope. At a depth of 1/7, it will evaporate, eventually, and they should clean the mud up if the floor is smoothed. If you're expecting spills of 2/7 or above across the entire floor (it only takes one tile of 1/7 for the evaporation process to occur, but if the entire floor is 2/7 it won't evaporate), you should probably set up drainage or something else to prevent it from hanging around and drowning everyone down there [a single grate opening into a water source (which will absorb water as well as generating it, preventing the level from being entirely filled) would probably do it, or you could set up some big run-off rooms fed by screw pumps, and use them as tree-farms/normal farms whenever they're not flooded].

Naz:
Ok, so it'll evaporate then. Good to know. There's no chance its going to get to 2/7 for long, the room is like...50x75 and I'm only building a 3x3 pond to act as the source for the pumps. It's indoors though and I'm playing 40d, is that going to screw me?

Naz:
Just thought of something related to my first post so it didn't make sense to create a new thread. if you have enough pumps and enough water can you just build the pumps around the bottom of a shaft and force the water up instead of having to put pumps on every level?

Shrike:
No... pressurization only works in getting water up to the highest level that pressure is applied. So, in a u-bend pit, water will rise to the same level on both sides, but won't go higher than that.

Otherwise, we would have all sorts of fountain designs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version