Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF In a Nutshell  (Read 6013 times)

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
DF In a Nutshell
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:15:04 pm »

This is a good way to describe DF to friends:

It's a game of self discovery, booze, magma, and FUN. You begin with seven megalomaniacal, lazy, alcoholic, magma-loving, morally-compromised dwarfs with no common sense, who must earn their way to dwarfliness. 7 dwarves, 4 types of booze, 1 cat (preferably male), and the rugged wild. Mine, farm, fight, build, drink, cry, drink again, get into fetal position by your computer and cry, because THIS! IS! DWARFFORTRESS!

Post more ideas here below.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:39:03 pm by Urist Mcinternetuser »

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF In a Nutshell
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:15:59 pm »

Made by Urist Mcinternetuser and Tbino.

tbino

• Bay Watcher
  • For when praying to armok isn't enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:16:58 pm »

Yay. awesome! :) :D :)

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 05:19:45 pm »

We did it! And It's not loser sounding at all.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 08:38:33 pm »

Its a game of drinking, tantrums, killing, crying, digging to hell, ripping your eyes out, murdering your pets, throwing people in magma, watching blood fill the streets, intense fighting action...

Oh but theres a catch... Theres no graphics  :P
 (^Just dont say that the first time...)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:25:31 am »

I always start from the opposite side.

"Dwarf fortress? In one of my games, I tried to build a system to filter sea water through a complex of cage traps in order to capture pregnant mermaids so I could build baby merfolk tallow soap."

Then I can expand to what the game is about.

"Unfortunately, the dwarf engineer who was building the wind powered mermaid compressors was killed by an undead whale. The engineer's couldn't endure the grief, became batshit insane and started destroying everything around him."

So they can understand the nature of the game.

"I tried to put him in jail to protect the other dwarves, but he was a legendary hammerdwarf and captain of the fortress guard.
Soon later, only two recent immigrants were still alive, hidden in the old fortress, eating what berries they could find on the surface, while they wait the crazy son to die of thirst or suicide."

Most of the times I only get a: "that sounds like a strange fucking game".

But sometimes, once every long while, I find someone who might actually "get" DF: "Can't you now do the soap from the dead dwarves fat?"

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:29:46 am »

Life is, in a word, murder.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

mrb4b00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 09:44:52 am »

Remember when we were kids and built Lego forts and plastic soldiers?  Well it's like that, except you're playing it drunk and they actually bleed.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:57:50 am »

Remember when we were kids and built Lego forts and plastic soldiers?  Well it's like that, except you're playing it drunk and they actually bleed.

This.
Also my signature.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 10:36:36 am »

We did it! And It's not loser sounding at all.

Wrong.

When describing dwarf fortress, this is how I do it:

"It's a fairly new game, developed by this guy for nothing except donations. It generates a world and thousands of years of history that you get to play with in two ways, either as a RPG or as a kind of city-builder. It's graphics aren't that great, but the detail that the game goes into is amazing. The game is used by some magazines to stress test computers."

No geekiness, no fan-love. Just stating it as it is and not promising anything it doesn't already deliver in droves. (well, except the "new" part. Though to people I describe it to, it IS new, so it counts ;))
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 01:34:17 pm »

Like Dungeon Keeper but with ten times the game play.

(Now if only you could slap dwarves to make them work faster.  Urst McLazy is Unhappy.  He has been slapped recently.)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »

It's like if Tolkien taught your Geology 101 class, but you were drunk and playing the Sims during the lecture. Then you had a dream that got them all confused.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 06:41:29 pm »

Dwarf Fortress?...

Imagine if you were God, and the Earth had no graphics. Now add in Blood, gore, cannibal elves, maniac dwarves, psycopathic goblins, two ton automatons of bronze, the obvious dragon, billions upon billions of demons, an eylid system, deep detail, a almost god-like creator, fan-fiction that would make J.K Rowling feel like a novice, murderous carp, fantastical creatures, Alchoholism, ritualistic murder, the occasional... O.K, very common Madman, axes, two tons of badass, bustling cities, elephant rampages, hundreds of beings living and dieing in war, a world history kept and recorded, beings that sometimes make you truly wonder if they aren't sentient, and molten stone. You now have Dwarf Fortress as it was three years ago.

Much has come to pass in those three years.[/BADASS]
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 06:47:10 pm »

An ant farm with crazed, drunk, and murderous ants.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 07:48:58 pm »

[/quote]

Wrong.

[/quote]

I think describing it the way people make it in their heads (and based on the fact that Dwarves are idiots, lovable idiots), is better than describing it in a serious manner. Plus I was joking.
Pages: [1] 2