Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen - Tailored Diverse Embark Sites  (Read 2930 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
World Gen - Tailored Diverse Embark Sites
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:30:52 pm »

Fire & Ice.
The current state of the game being what it is, I haven't been playing DF, but been experimenting with the world gen very much.
I tailored a medium sized world with Human civilization filling the west, Elves to the East, Dwarfs to the North, and Goblins to the South.  All of them grow into enormous sprawling civilizations.  In the middle of the map, a grid of peeks, all with volcanoes, with mixed wild Evil/Good jungles.

This gives for fun embark locations, with a big mix of rock types, and multiple biomes.

In the example below, the embark has Freezing Obsidian Mountain (both a named peek and a volcano), surrounded by dense Warm forest.  Glumprong and Featherwood right next to each other, accessible aquifer only in the evil biomes, completely FLAT forest!, tall mountain.   My favorite find so far, so I thought I'd share it.

It also has the Temple.  Yay!
Due to world gen parameters, the temple contains over 4 z-levels of undead, with over 100 z-levels of Fun below that.
Over 70 z-levels from the surface to the first cavern, plus the tall mountain, leaves lots of fortress room.
One volcano, plus 5 underground pipes.

This is a 8x8 embark, but all the best features fit in 4x4.
On embark, before even striking the earth, df process is using 1.4gb ram.

Site Finder Information:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Embark Location:
Notice the snow covered obsidian, but warm trees and grass.

View in Stonesense:

World:

Very Very Long World Gen Parameters download from Dwarf Fortress File Depot:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2417
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 10:16:20 am by zilpin »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen - Tailored Diverse Embark Sites
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:53:14 pm »

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (40000 characters).

Separate post for params.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ralinth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 10:50:07 pm »

Yea post the gen again. I would like to check this world out myself.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:26:50 am »

World Gen file on DFFD.  Edited first post to include link.

Set seeds to random to try out other arrangements.  The same grid of volcanoes will be generated, sometimes with lakes around them, sometimes with brooks/streams/rivers, always surrounded by dense woodland, mixed good/evil.

Can't control where Goblins & Dwarfs build civilizations, so sometimes one or the other gets killed off.  I like having lots of Goblins around, so that's what I aimed for.

World currently ends at year 100.  Take that out to 200 for larger civilizations, but also a higher chance some may get killed off.  Longer than that doesn't usually impact things much.

Sometimes you get lucky, and the volcano is far away from the mountain peak, so you can get a volcano in the middle of a flat forest with partial aquifer.
Haven't found a way to make the new world gen consistently create locations with volcano but keep terrain flat.

I have other variations, without volcanoes, with flat mountain+evil forest+good forest+brook, if anyone is interested in them.

Wideman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:24:19 am »

hmm im inclined to test out the good forest with brook plz :/ not much for fighting really LAWl
hmmmm you should be very afraid.... The computers around the world have eyes and ears and theyre plotting against the human race in theyre binary chants