Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground civ.  (Read 1449 times)

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Underground civ.
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:31:13 am »

Hello everyone! I have been doing a bit of research trying to get my modding skills back up to where they were before the new release, which is to say being able to do more than sit there with a big ? over my head like a cartoon.

From looking in the raws it appears that civs can now be made to exists in the underground, my question is if they will send caravans from off-screen in a cavern layer, send them from above ground, or not send them at all.

The answer to this could be very important to the kind of mod I decide to make, I did a bit of searching but all I could find was that a civ could exist underground, nothing about trading or diplomats.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground civ.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:34:25 am »

I'm gonna mod deep gnomes to build an underground civilation. I'll return to you after testing it.

My current guess - they'll probably come from overworld, but they should really come the caverns.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 01:41:17 am »

Heh, thats funny.

My mod idea was to mod in deep gnomes as well. I was going to have a fort in the caverns that traded with the deep gnomes, and a fort on the surface that traded with humans. Not connected to each-other. Good luck with your underdark, I will try to contribute something once my modding ability is back up to par. Just need to figure out these damn creature files and I am golden.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:55:03 am »

From what I know of underground civs, functionality akin to the kind you desire is very doubtful. While underground civs form outposts, they don't seem to form caravans capable of trade.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 02:47:40 am »

How about sieges?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 12:34:50 pm »

Adding the [SIEGER] tag to them should make them able to siege you.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:54:58 am »

Well, the easy way to test this would to be to just copy the human civ entry and make it [underground] (or whatever the appropriate tag is) and...see what happens.  I really have no idea if it would work, but I suspect it wouldn't.  Not entirely anyway.  I have a strong suspicion that even if it doesn't work right now, Toady will make it work in a future release one day. 

Let us know if it works!
where is up?