Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Life Cycles  (Read 11778 times)

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
Life Cycles
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:46:51 pm »

Hi guys, I was working on some insects and was wondering if there was any way to implement the caste system (or any other feature) to make infants of a race a larvae rather than just a child. If this is not possible, Toady should probably make non-mammalian reproduction a priority for the next big update.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Life Cycles
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:50:14 pm »

I've been wondering how much difference is possible as well. Shaostoul's Modding Guide has some useful comments in that regard. (like a list of the tags that aren't for castes to determine)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:54:23 pm »

The problem is that children are not different from adults. When Toady makes children/babies into castes (if), it should be possible then.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 04:58:33 pm »

The problem is that children are not different from adults. When Toady makes children/babies into castes (if), it should be possible then.

that one's an IF? aw. Are you sure it can't be decided by defining the child under the specific caste entries?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:29:02 pm »

If this is not possible, Toady should probably make non-mammalian reproduction a priority for the next big update.

Definitely. I mean, being able to send out conquering armies, fixing trade so it's actually meaningful, and making feeding a fortress a proper challenge would be nice, but, y'know...caterpillars.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 05:52:01 pm »

I don't think I've seen anything regarding larvae or cocoons or anything like that at all. The closest I've seen thus far is a GCS web stopping critters and all.

Aside from that, I think you're out of luck for the time being. A proper life cycle would be nice.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 06:18:06 pm »

If this is not possible, Toady should probably make non-mammalian reproduction a priority for the next big update.

Definitely. I mean, being able to send out conquering armies, fixing trade so it's actually meaningful, and making feeding a fortress a proper challenge would be nice, but, y'know...caterpillars.
I want my bugs, damnit!
So, guess I'm stuck with mammalian mockeries of true insects for the time being. Curses.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 07:29:55 pm »

I don't think I've seen anything regarding larvae or cocoons or anything like that at all.

that one's simple. Set up the child however you want. then give it the immobile on land tag. BAM! instant cocoon.
[/quote]

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 07:42:19 pm »

that one's an IF? aw. Are you sure it can't be decided by defining the child under the specific caste entries?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

I need a new sig.. so.. sigg'd!

Also, tadpoles.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 08:17:45 am »

So, guess I'm stuck with mammalian mockeries of true insects for the time being. Curses.

Look on the bright side. It'd be way creeper if dogs hatched out into grubs and from then on into pupae.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:41:06 am »

Look on the bright side. It'd be way creeper if dogs hatched out into grubs and from then on into pupae.

duh, thats where wolves and bears come from. tsh, some people.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:28:51 am »

duh, thats where wolves and bears come from. tsh, some people.

A little research proves you right. How foolish of me.