Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My mason is trapped in a cage and I can't get him out.  (Read 707 times)

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My mason is trapped in a cage and I can't get him out.
« on: May 28, 2010, 02:52:36 pm »

He was mortally wounded in a fight with some goblins before my legendary wrestlers pulped them. He staggered onto a cage trap and fell unconscious, and it trapped him. I've placed him in the middle of a corridor, I've set him to be freed in the animal caging menu, but even my dwarves who have no job but animal hauling aren't coming to help him out. What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty sure he's going to die anyway, but I'd like him not to die imprisoned, at least.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: My mason is trapped in a cage and I can't get him out.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 02:53:09 pm »

build his cage somewhere and link it to a lever. pull the lever.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:53:21 pm »

Build the cage, link it to a lever, pull the lever.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »

Ahah. Thanks. He's managed to limp to the barracks for some rest. Mangled lungs.

On an unrelated note, said legendary wrestlers are using their masterwork and artifact crossbows to beat the enemy to death with. They're actually doing very well as it is, sending enemies flying all over the place...but how do I get them to use the thousands of bolts I have forged? They're champions, so I can't alter their soldiering preferences.

Edit: This is 40d, by the way.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:18:56 pm by Demilich »

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 04:48:08 pm »

That sort of thing is very difficult to fix in 40d. While .04 is very complicated to figure out, the military can be made to do\wield exactly what you desire if you put the love into figuring it out.

To help you out, you can try to debug your military dwarves.

* Change squad leaders around
* Promote and demote dwarves multiple times, i.e. into their own squads, under another dwarf
* Set everyone to unarmed\unarmored
* Set and remove stations and create and delete patrols
* Enable a weapon and see if the dwarf picks it up. If so, see if he'll go to the shooting range.
* Repeat all of the above in various combinations until it works. :(
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.