Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ratsplosion?  (Read 1466 times)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ratsplosion?
« on: May 25, 2010, 03:12:33 am »

so, I started a new fort this evening in vanilla .03, and just to check out the viability of a location i embarked with the 'play now' settings.

I wasn't planning on saving, just digging down a bit to see if there was usable stone before I hit the aquifer. (turns out, there is)

anyway, that happened is I was looking around topside when my cat ran up and a bunch of gray dots spewed out from where the cat was.  concerned, I paused and [k]'d over the strange covering of the floor.

What I found was, well... a swarm of rats and rat corpses.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Is it a bug, or did my cat just uncover a rat's nest?
(is so, that's pretty cool, though now I have a bunch of rat corpses on my hands and am waiting for .05 before I upgrade and get the corpses not decaying bug fixed)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ratsplosion?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 03:40:18 am »

I've encountered this in Adventure mode back in 40d where you'd walk over a tile and it would generate a mass of random vermin and a message like "You have disturbed a large number of large roaches" or something to that effect.

I'm guessing that happens in Dwarf mode now.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 03:46:43 am »

In 40d occasionally I'd dig out the entrance to my fort and sometime in summer a bunch of bats would appear from nowhere. Once I caught it happening as I happened to be centered on it, and it looked like a dwarf walked over one of the tiles I had dug out earlier and a ton of bats appeared. It had been walked over before, so I bet it resets by season or something. I wonder if cats can sniff out these tiles.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 07:33:52 am »

There are these vermin tiles denoted by a ░ that reads "many{insert vermin name here}" when you look over it. These are the things that spawn the mess of vermin when stepped on. The only vermin I've seen with this tile are flies, rats, bats, large roaches, and fluffy wamblers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 08:48:20 am »

There are these vermin tiles denoted by a ░ that reads "many{insert vermin name here}" when you look over it. These are the things that spawn the mess of vermin when stepped on. The only vermin I've seen with this tile are flies, rats, bats, large roaches, and fluffy wamblers.
I've seen it with fairies.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:26:18 pm »

I got it with fluffy wamblers.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 02:04:50 pm »

I've seen it with fairies.
This isn't the cause though. Random, unmarked tiles will spawn vermin, which flee and eventually disappear. You cat usually kills some 100+ vermin at this point.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Bluehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 06:07:16 pm »

I had a ratsplosion in 31.04 a few moments after embark.  My two kitties went crazy and I counted 35 dead rats about a minute later.