Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sunshine: Drink of champions, or drink of pansies?  (Read 4279 times)

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
Sunshine: Drink of champions, or drink of pansies?
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:40:24 pm »

Sunshine: A brew of elven origin, made from the elusive "Sun Berries", berries that grow only outside, in the sun, in a wet & good biome. By all accounts, this pansy beverage should be the bane of every dwarf in existance, a mockery of beverages everywhere. Yet for some reason, this beverage is the most valuable beverage, with a value of 5 dorfbucks (compare underground mushroom beverages, which value at 2 dorfbucks, or the 2nd most expensive beverage, "Whip Wine", which only costs 3 dorfbucks)! How can this be? Is this beverage, despite it's pansy origins, in fact the ultimate beverage, one that can cause the dwarf who drinks it to weep in joy? Or is it a cruel joke, played by the creator, the great Toady One, upon his own booze-loving creation?
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Sunshine: Drink of champions, or drink of pansies?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:43:23 pm »

Sunshine is so expensive, because good laxatives are so hard to come by in DF.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:54:01 pm »

Who say's that it's anti-dwarfy to drink just because it's made by the elves?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:01:39 pm »

I also made moonshine in Genesis. I don't know why is there sunshine and no moonshine...

Well, it must be another mystery like many others... For example, why did Toady One remove ratmen :(.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:08:14 pm »

A dwarf must brave his two biggest enemies to acquire sunshine: elves and the sun. Only after bloodying the brew in battle, can sunshine be made. This is the most dwarfy drink possible.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 01:16:50 pm »

A dwarf must brave his two biggest enemies to acquire sunshine: elves and the sun. Only after bloodying the brew in battle, can sunshine be made. This is the most dwarfy drink possible.

Or you could just find it next to a pond and grow it. You still have to confront the sun at some point, though.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:26:10 pm »

I also made moonshine in Genesis. I don't know why is there sunshine and no moonshine...

Well, it must be another mystery like many others... For example, why did Toady One remove ratmen :(.

Well, you could call all the alcohol moonshine ;)
But sunshine is made from sun berries, and there's no moon berries, so no moon shine :-p
Also, is there a moon?  :o

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »

DWARVEN sun berries are grown by collapsing a 3x3 region that extends to the surface into the magma sea, and watering it to make a muddy obsidian floor. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:03:04 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:14:47 pm »

It's all about supply and demand. No self respecting dwarf would farm on the surface and no self respecting dwarf would actually trade with the elves (Magma baths do bad things to berries).  Thus sunshine is quite rare which makes it more expensive.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 06:06:02 pm »

Sunshine sounds like 120 proof glowing happiness in a bottle. Now compare that to fermented pig tails.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:50:21 pm »

Who say's that it's anti-dwarfy to drink just because it's made by the elves?
Yeah, my adventurers drink the blood of their enemies (read: elves) all the time!
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 11:41:28 am »

Hi!

Sunshine sounds like 120 proof glowing happiness in a bottle. Now compare that to fermented pig tails.

For once, Nikov and I agree on something :) :)
I couldn't have worded it half as well as you have done in the above quote.

Deathworks

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 12:31:32 pm »

Hi!

For once, Nikov and I agree on something :) :)
I couldn't have worded it half as well as you have done in the above quote.

Deathworks

I was being sarcastic. Everyone knows the best booze is Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, and the best booze in Dwarf Fortress is Dwarven Rum. Not some namby pamby herbal 'liqueur'. And the implication we would ever agree on something is, frankly, obscene.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 01:38:41 pm »

Sewer Brew, king of booze!
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 02:00:57 pm »

Actually herbal brew sounds interesting. Dwarven absynth anyone?  ;)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: [1] 2