Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Key bindings not saving: can't find a specific setting  (Read 580 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Key bindings not saving: can't find a specific setting
« on: May 26, 2010, 04:03:46 pm »

Ok so I discovered that the key bindings don't save each time you close DF today.  You can set them manually each time but when you close, they vanish.

Not a problem, I'll just change them in the interface.txt file.  Probably is I can't find specific ones.  The two I want to reset are "Move secondary selector up/down" and the other is "Page secondary selector up/down".  Anyone know what they're called in the txt file?  Also I'm trying to set it to Alt + down arrow.  I imagine that's Sym:(number):(key) but anyone know what to put for number and key?

Actually it seems a bit worse than that.  Any time I change any key at all in the interface.txt file, it resets some other option (even though I'm just changing the one) and removes my ability to use Enter (or any other key) to select something on the main menu.

Even when I set the changes back to what they were originally and save, it's still fucked up in the end.  Is this some other kind of forced 'protection'?  Like not being able to quit without saving?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:13:18 pm by Shiv »
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Re: Key bindings not saving: can't find a specific setting
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 05:10:34 pm »

Well when you change them in game you have to hit a key and it saves it to the text file, can't remember which key but it tells you off to the side. As to the other problem i'm not sure. Hope this helps.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 05:20:02 pm »

So... i had a similar problem. Look very carfully at the menus while you set up your key bindings. There are actually two exit options. One only saves your bindings for the current session, while the other actually saves them permanently.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:24:12 pm »

Ok I see the two options, but whenever you go into a specific key binding category, how do you get back to that menu?  The only way out, that I can find, is Esc, which skips that menu entirely.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Corbald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 07:10:36 pm »

<SPACE> works for me. Alternatively, you can just jump back in to the keybinds main menu and choose 'Save' after <ESC>ing out. It'll still save the bindings.