Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Dwarven Eugenics

(1/4) > >>

Firehound:
We all know that there is now rudimentary genetics in Dwarf fortress for all creatures, including dwarves. While there is plenty of talk of selectively breeding cows and horses and almost any other animal, has anyone considered trying a dwarven eugenics program, to create a society of super-dwarves?

I'm going to HFS for thinking of this aren't I?

Retro:
in b4 godwins law

If it was possible, few players would have the patience to wait for more than one generation of dwarves to grow up. That said, I don't think it is possible, as some dwarves just refuse to get married (be it to certain dwarves or sometimes at all). You can't force them to have kids with each other, either.

SpacemanSpiff:
Or you could try a challenge, and set up a reverse-eugenics program: breed a race of couch-potato idiots!  Select your brightest and best for the military, and send them on impossible missions.  The surviving dwarves will naturally be your weakest/clumsiest/flimsiest specimens.  Let them sit idle so they lose even more attributes, while simultaneously having plenty of free time to breed with each other. 

Lightning4:
Another monkey wrench in those plans is that dwarves can gain or lose muscle over the course of a fort, making it a bit more difficult to breed through that method. Dwarves may be predisposed to gaining muscle faster, but it's hard to tell.
You could probably still breed for body size and height, or even appearance.

Modding gets around the breeding time, and you could probably combat the marriage problem by keeping the dwarves you want to breed in constant contact. It's not a guarantee, but at least a few marriages should eventually happen if you have a large enough pool of dwarves to draw from. Only problem is, sitting around will probably make these dwarves lose muscle and gain fat.
I'm leaving the ways of dealing with the unwanted dwarves to others, I'd rather stay clear of the HFS.

o_O[WTFace]:
Stat gain and loss can only go to a certain % of starting stats ( think 50-200 ), so some 'genetic' stat level must be tracked somewhere.  I assume thats what would be passed down, assuming anything is passed down (might be random, like castes). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version