Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Pull the lever. PULL THE LEVER  (Read 22402 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: Pull the lever. PULL THE LEVER
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:22 am »

• What do you do when one of the lever-folk dies?  Dwarves don't last forever.

Simple, make the system in such a way that the levers have to be pulled periodically or EVERYONE dies. That way, when your lever pullers go away, so too does your fortress. You won't need the shell anyway once the heart dies...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 11:53:40 am »

I build a control room that is a miniature layout of my entire fortress. The lever is in the same relative position as the object it activates.

Several dwarves are then entombed into the control room and provided both with a well and a small farm plot so they can survive in there forever, with absolutely no way for anything to reach them to harm them. They then pull levers on demand in perfect safety for the rest of eternity.

I do this, but less dwarvenly. A mini copy control room is built for each project, near the project and stocked with food/drink tables chairs and beds, then I lock in whoever comes to pull the dummy lever (When trouble is anticipated, I activate it to get a lever puller prepped).
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 11:56:49 am »

I build a control room that is a miniature layout of my entire fortress. The lever is in the same relative position as the object it activates.

Several dwarves are then entombed into the control room and provided both with a well and a small farm plot so they can survive in there forever, with absolutely no way for anything to reach them to harm them. They then pull levers on demand in perfect safety for the rest of eternity.

The two major questions:
  • How do you handle expansion?  Doesn't that involved opening the vault to build more levers?

I only make the vault once the fortress layout is mostly finalized. If there is major expansion later on I build an additional vault.

My dwarves do live forever. I removed the maxage token in the raws.  :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 03:12:37 pm »

The two major questions:
  • How do you handle expansion?  Doesn't that involved opening the vault to build more levers?

I only make the vault once the fortress layout is mostly finalized. If there is major expansion later on I build an additional vault.

My dwarves do live forever. I removed the maxage token in the raws.  :D

alternatively, and as i do it, you could find a family/married couple/lovers and house them in the control room. Thus, you have AT LEAST 120 years, at which point something would have gone horribly, horribly wrong anyway.
Make sure none of you operators have friends on the outside though, their death could be your doom.

or your starting seven could be the ones entombed with their supplies, then everyone else build the rest of the fortress.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 03:15:31 pm »

This thread gave me a double facepalm combo.
True dwarves don't mark their levers. They make them all out of bauxite. All of them flood the fortress with magma using it's own, unique way.
Yet, only lever #2 floods the outside, that's the one they make in case of the elves.

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 05:34:27 pm »

Notes aren't dwarfy.

If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you
True dwarves don't mark their levers. They make them all out of bauxite. All of them flood the fortress with magma using it's own, unique way.
Yet, only lever #2 floods the outside, that's the one they make in case of the elves.

"Ah, but no true dwarf marks their levers."

Is anyone else getting really tired of this whole thing about doing things in the most inefficient and reckless manner possible somehow being preferable to (or "more dwarven" than) just doing things sensibly?  If the game was meant to be played that way, we wouldn't have notes in the first place.

If you want to do it that way as a voluntary challenge, that's fine, but please stop accusing players who choose to play in more organized way of being "less dwarven".  At best it's a joke that's gone on too long, and at worst it's being an elitist prick.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 06:01:25 pm »

Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 06:11:25 pm »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 06:24:35 pm »

Notes aren't dwarfy.

If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you

"Ah, but no true dwarf marks their levers."

Is anyone else getting really tired of this whole thing about doing things in the most inefficient and reckless manner possible somehow being preferable to (or "more dwarven" than) just doing things sensibly?  If the game was meant to be played that way, we wouldn't have notes in the first place.

If you want to do it that way as a voluntary challenge, that's fine, but please stop accusing players who choose to play in more organized way of being "less dwarven".  At best it's a joke that's gone on too long, and at worst it's being an elitist prick.

I've long since given up this argument.  Some people aren't happy unless they're unhappy.  Let them be and do things the intelligent way.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 10:13:13 am »

"A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry."

The Description says quite clearly though that labeling EVERYTHING in an industrious manner while drinking alcohol is the definition of dwarfy behavior.

So, all you lablers failed because you aren't getting totally wasted while doing it!
And you magmaers failed because you forgot to get totally wasted while doing it!

At least while playing dwarf fortress. Those of you playing Elf Retreat didn't fail for that reason. You got your own reasons for failure.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

saarmae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 02:29:32 pm »

The two major questions:
I have yet to see a dwarf die of old age. All my dwarves experience death by natural cause.

You know what i mean.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 02:44:23 pm »

The two major questions:
I have yet to see a dwarf die of old age. All my dwarves experience death by natural cause.

You know what i mean.

Armok is natural causes.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 07:52:06 pm »

Everything except the fortress self destruct lever is natural causes. 

I imagine a never ending series of miniature control rooms inside of other control rooms with miniature dwarves running around pulling tiny levers to operate the machinery in other miniature control rooms, like one of those artifacts that contains a picture of itself  :D

Anyway I build my levers next to the central staircase in the direction of whatever its connected to, really time critical levers go in the dining room.  I used to make an organized and airlocked control room, but at some point I have more dorf then patience so now I just use a special pitchblende or kimberlite mechanism for anything capable of a catastrophic containment failure.  If a berserk dwarf pulls one, well, then it should solve your berserk dwarf problem at least. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:16:20 pm by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 08:44:11 pm »

The solution is still making a system where catastrophe occurs if levers AREN'T pulled. You do it by making water-triggered floodgates in a room that once the room is full triggers, and atom smash the constantly refilling room with a lever on repeat. Then you don't have to START a pull, only STOP one.

It is Gremlin proof and will ensure your defenses trigger in an emergency. A Scamps raw creature could still cause a cat-astrophe as your lever is killed and the room floods, but as long as you are getting roaringly drunk, it's very dwarfy.

intrepid levering rather than reactive levering.

Of course you need to ensure that that room fills up quick enough to ensure your defenses work...

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 12:38:58 pm »

The solution is still making a system where catastrophe occurs if levers AREN'T pulled. You do it by making water-triggered floodgates in a room that once the room is full triggers, and atom smash the constantly refilling room with a lever on repeat. Then you don't have to START a pull, only STOP one.

I can't see this ending well at all. I love it.

The perfect thing for a succession fort.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4