Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Pull the lever. PULL THE LEVER  (Read 22409 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pull the lever. PULL THE LEVER
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 03:55:45 pm »

A dead man's switch? I like that.

It would make megaprojects difficult, or also cleaning up after sieges as everyone would be too busy hauling to pull the lever, unless you have dedicated lever pullers.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 07:45:02 pm »

"Push the button, Max! Push the button!"

Professor Fate is certainly Dwarfy.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 08:18:35 pm »

Mildly related, get a switch-puller.
Could you...connect a switch to another switch?
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 11:41:58 pm »

Simple, make the system in such a way that the levers have to be pulled periodically or EVERYONE dies. That way, when your lever pullers go away, so too does your fortress. You won't need the shell anyway once the heart dies...

Of course, if you do that, you may also be obligated to build a crashed plane in two parts outside your fort, and mod in some epileptic trees. Also, all your dwarves have to be beautiful.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2010, 12:19:30 am »

One way to cause some madness is task lots of dumps under the bridge, then Pull The Lever on repeat!  Countless dwarfs will get flung to the neighboring zlevels, or meet obstacles, or simply cease to be an object.  Bonus points for flinging cows over walls.  Then you get some tantrums when pets and dwarfs get smashed.  The game to play is how long can the lever kept getting pulled until the puller tantrums?
igless

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2010, 06:18:30 pm »

If you get a new migrant, he can keep pulling until he gets tired/hungry/thirsty.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2010, 07:40:43 pm »

You know how some nuclear missile sites require two levers? Perhaps it's worth the extra effort to require two dwarves, or one really avid deranged one to get to both of them.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 10:27:42 am »

Of course, if you do that, you may also be obligated to build a crashed plane in two parts outside your fort, and mod in some epileptic trees. Also, all your dwarves have to be beautiful.
My google-fu tells me this is probably a "Lost" reference. I don't know why, since I think lost is about a bunch of people stranded on a desert isle somewhere... I never watched it since it seemed stupid to me.

This is, in actuality, a reference for an outer limits eposode "Dead Man's Switch"
It was the sealed bunker that gave me the thought. And considering the connection there made me lose the game.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 09:24:47 am »

My google-fu tells me this is probably a "Lost" reference. I don't know why, since I think lost is about a bunch of people stranded on a desert isle somewhere... I never watched it since it seemed stupid to me.

This is, in actuality, a reference for an outer limits eposode "Dead Man's Switch"
It was the sealed bunker that gave me the thought. And considering the connection there made me lose the game.

Yeah, it's a lost reference. a roommate of mine insisted I watch the first couple seasons on DVD, and you were right to never watch it, because it was, in point of fact, stupid. That said, it also had a sealed bunker with a timer which had to be reset on a regular basis or unspecified bad things would happen.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 07:50:42 am »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of Kronk everytime I order a dwarf to pull the lever (why do we even have the lever anyways)?

Thread contribution: There is a lever in my control room that seals the door to my control room. That way if I know I'm going to need some tightly timed lever pulling action, I can just have a dwarf seal himself in. One time I had a dwarf do this, in anticipation of closing some floodgates as soon as a miner tapped the magma and got out. The magma is tapped and the order to bring up the floodgates goes out. And nothing happens. And nothing happens some more. That's not entirely true, one thing was happening, magma was fucking flowing out everywhere. So I go back to the control room to see wtf. Turns out this glorious bastard went in, pulled the seal up the control room lever...and went on break. Now, not only is he unwilling to pull the lever, but no one else can get into the room to pull the lever. It was a warm, warm month in the fort that month.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 09:06:48 am »

I had a funny thing with levers today. I have a draw bridge that I open when i'm beeing attacked it has the bonus of a serval layers deep shaft in order to rid myself of thiefs and snatchers if they are discovered in the fortress (they drop death) It also protects the bridge from building destoyers who can't fly. But during this siege I order the lever to be pulled but instead of actually going towards the lever my dwarfs decide to do nothing. The attack hits hard and I lose my army. Luckly a caravan killed the rest before they could cause mayor havock. So my dwarfs walk outside to behave as normaly and suddely the bridge with 8 dwarfs on it goes up and they all drop death 7 z levels deeper. Turned out one of my dwarfs remember something about pulling a lever...
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 10:27:13 am »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of Kronk everytime I order a dwarf to pull the lever (why do we even have the lever anyways)?

Thread contribution: There is a lever in my control room that seals the door to my control room. That way if I know I'm going to need some tightly timed lever pulling action, I can just have a dwarf seal himself in. One time I had a dwarf do this, in anticipation of closing some floodgates as soon as a miner tapped the magma and got out. The magma is tapped and the order to bring up the floodgates goes out. And nothing happens. And nothing happens some more. That's not entirely true, one thing was happening, magma was fucking flowing out everywhere. So I go back to the control room to see wtf. Turns out this glorious bastard went in, pulled the seal up the control room lever...and went on break. Now, not only is he unwilling to pull the lever, but no one else can get into the room to pull the lever. It was a warm, warm month in the fort that month.

This is why I prefer redundant dwarves in my control room bunker. If its just one dwarf he might go on break. If you put half a dozen dwarves in there and entomb them in there forever there will always be a dwarf ready to pull levers.

While it is possible all 6 dwarves can go on break at the same time, the odds of this are so low that it shouldn't happen.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 02:06:11 pm »

This is why I prefer redundant dwarves in my control room bunker. If its just one dwarf he might go on break. If you put half a dozen dwarves in there and entomb them in there forever there will always be a dwarf ready to pull levers.

While it is possible all 6 dwarves can go on break at the same time, the odds of this are so low that it shouldn't happen.

It's Dwarf Fortress. Trust me; they will do it the split second you need a drawbridge closed/floodgate opened/etc. etc.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 02:41:53 pm »

Notes aren't dwarfy.

If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you
This thread gave me a double facepalm combo.
True dwarves don't mark their levers. They make them all out of bauxite. All of them flood the fortress with magma using it's own, unique way.
Yet, only lever #2 floods the outside, that's the one they make in case of the elves.

"Ah, but no true dwarf marks their levers."

Is anyone else getting really tired of this whole thing about doing things in the most inefficient and reckless manner possible somehow being preferable to (or "more dwarven" than) just doing things sensibly?  If the game was meant to be played that way, we wouldn't have notes in the first place.

If you want to do it that way as a voluntary challenge, that's fine, but please stop accusing players who choose to play in more organized way of being "less dwarven".  At best it's a joke that's gone on too long, and at worst it's being an elitist prick.

Any true dwarf wouldn't of taken this so seriously... ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:45:55 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 03:24:46 pm »

It's Dwarf Fortress. Trust me; they will do it the split second you need a drawbridge closed/floodgate opened/etc. etc.

logic would attribute this to the high number of times when you need a lever pulled desperately, not to the specific habit dwarves have of taking breaks to often.

Then again... Its Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4