Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Pull the lever. PULL THE LEVER  (Read 22274 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pull the lever. PULL THE LEVER
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2010, 04:48:48 pm »

I over-engineer everything. Everything has multiple failsafe switches or cutoffs, with most of them functioning automatically.

My fortresses also cannot flood. Why? Because I rig up automated cutoff switches, and manual switches located in more than one location in such a way that it will never flood, along with passive drainage so that even if every single safety were to fail all at the same time, passive drainage would prevent terminal flooding. Things would still get damp, but that is the worst that would happen.

Also each section of my fortress can be sealed off to contain flooding, plagues, or invaders. At very worst I may lose a compartment, and those sealed inside, unable to escape, would perish. Once the situation is under control I open the compartment back up, reclaim it, and tidy things up to get using it again.

My engineers are legendary.  8)

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2010, 05:19:21 pm »

I over-engineer everything. Everything has multiple failsafe switches or cutoffs, with most of them functioning automatically.

My fortresses also cannot flood. Why? Because I rig up automated cutoff switches, and manual switches located in more than one location in such a way that it will never flood, along with passive drainage so that even if every single safety were to fail all at the same time, passive drainage would prevent terminal flooding. Things would still get damp, but that is the worst that would happen.

Also each section of my fortress can be sealed off to contain flooding, plagues, or invaders. At very worst I may lose a compartment, and those sealed inside, unable to escape, would perish. Once the situation is under control I open the compartment back up, reclaim it, and tidy things up to get using it again.

The way I see it, there are two types of dwarfy-ness. There's the metal side of dwarf (Cleaving elves in two, being drunk, not planning ahead and breaking stuff) and the industrial side, planning out elaborate mechanics and systems, building large and mostly pointless artefacts simply because you can or good old dwarven efficiency .
You sir, are made of the latter.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2010, 07:22:47 pm »

:D for Hyndis.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 12:25:38 pm »

The sealed, impenetrable bunker full of entombed lever pullers is another backup. There is no way for the lever pullers to be slain. Nothing can reach them. Not even HFS. Not even flying building destroyers. They also grow their own food and have a well to drink from, and the cistern that supplies the well is also designed to be unbreakable. Protecting the bunker are walls made out of iron and stone blocks many layers thick, and the bunker is usually built into the base of my fortress, so to any outside invader it just looks like a foundation for a tower. The tower can be pillaged, but the bunker itself is designed to escape both due to how thick the walls are as well as being camouflaged to be unobtrusive.

This means that even should the worst happen, even should the entire fortress fall, the fortress will never crumble to its doom. There will always be survivors forever safe in their eternally self sufficient vaults.

And they will keep on pulling those levers on demand.  :D

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2010, 01:00:35 pm »

The sealed, impenetrable bunker full of entombed lever pullers is another backup. There is no way for the lever pullers to be slain. Nothing can reach them. Not even HFS. Not even flying building destroyers. They also grow their own food and have a well to drink from, and the cistern that supplies the well is also designed to be unbreakable. Protecting the bunker are walls made out of iron and stone blocks many layers thick, and the bunker is usually built into the base of my fortress, so to any outside invader it just looks like a foundation for a tower. The tower can be pillaged, but the bunker itself is designed to escape both due to how thick the walls are as well as being camouflaged to be unobtrusive

Urist McSealedin withdraws from society...   :P
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2010, 08:02:39 pm »

Hmmm...  This reminds me of a story about a ship, they also made a movie about it but I can't quite seem to recall the name of it...   ;)

My fortresses ship also cannot flood sink. Why? Because I rig up automated cutoff switches bulkheads, and manual switches hatches located in more than one location in such a way that it will never flood, along with passive drainage bilge pumps so that even if every single safety were to fail all at the same time, passive drainage the pumps would prevent terminal flooding. Things would still get damp, but that is the worst that would happen.

Also each section water tight compartment of my fortress ship can be sealed off to contain flooding, plagues, or invaders. At very worst I may lose a compartment, and those sealed inside, unable to escape, would perish. Once the situation is under control I open the compartment back up, reclaim it, and tidy things up to get using it again.

My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2010, 10:37:48 am »

I once forbade the trade depot when I was forbidding an area filled with items. Little did I know that buildings could be tagged with "forbidden". Soon came along a caravan and lo and behold, I got the message that said "traders need a trade depot"... Took a good 20 minutes to figure out what the hell was wrong. <.<

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2010, 06:21:05 pm »

Hmmm...  This reminds me of a story about a ship, they also made a movie about it but I can't quite seem to recall the name of it...   ;)

My fortresses ship also cannot flood sink. Why? Because I rig up automated cutoff switches bulkheads, and manual switches hatches located in more than one location in such a way that it will never flood, along with passive drainage bilge pumps so that even if every single safety were to fail all at the same time, passive drainage the pumps would prevent terminal flooding. Things would still get damp, but that is the worst that would happen.

Also each section water tight compartment of my fortress ship can be sealed off to contain flooding, plagues, or invaders. At very worst I may lose a compartment, and those sealed inside, unable to escape, would perish. Once the situation is under control I open the compartment back up, reclaim it, and tidy things up to get using it again.

The HMS Pinafore?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]