Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pull the lever. PULL THE LEVER  (Read 22269 times)

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pull the lever. PULL THE LEVER
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:12:29 pm »

Just a suggestion I guess. It's not like the lever does anything important. It's just connected to some floodgates. It's not like there's 15 goblins outside or anything.

Why the hell won't anyone PULL THE LEVER? They've done it before no problem. Now that there are three simultaneous ambushes no one wants to? What the hell is this? Is there a pull lever bug I haven't heard of? Is there a remedy?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pull the lever. PULL THE LEVER
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:26:07 pm »

Yeah, it's a bug.  It's called Dwarven Stupidity.  Kind of a Fun one to work around.

Seriously though, check where the lever is.
     Can dwarves path to it?  Maybe you locked a door somewhere.
     Does pathing to it put them ANYWHERE NEAR invaders?  Maybe they're running away whenever anyone tries to pull it.
     What's the alert level?  Maybe the dwarves are restricted by burrow alerts that stop them from going to the lever.
     Who's busy doing what?  Maybe nobody is idle enough to do it.  Lever pulling isn't exactly the highest priority job.
Just try to think of anything and everything that might be stopping them.

Also, it most likely isn't three ambushes...it's one with three squads that you had to find one by one.

That and this might be better asked in Gameplay Questions (don't make a new thread, just future reference if you don't want to move this one).

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:29:26 pm »

Ok, this is embarrassing. The lever was forbidden.

No bugs here. Nothing to see. Move along...

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:33:15 pm »

:P

This is not directly related, but if you've got an especially important one and you have to pull the lever even more than you have to burn the rope, put it near your meeting hall.  Much shorter response time provided you usually have some idle dorfs sitting around.

Just don't forget what that lever is linked to...

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:34:45 pm »

Ok, this is embarrassing. The lever was forbidden.

No bugs here. Nothing to see. Move along...

Welcome to the club.  Most of us have been vexed by dwarven refusal to act only to realize something was forbidden.  Often we were the ones to forbid it and completely forgot why.  Glad you figured it out and hope my checklist somehow was what made you check there.

:P

This is not directly related, but if you've got an especially important one and you have to pull the lever even more than you have to burn the rope, put it near your meeting hall.  Much shorter response time provided you usually have some idle dorfs sitting around.

Just don't forget what that lever is linked to...

This why we have notes.  Never forget what a lever was attached to again!

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 12:54:25 am »

Notes aren't dwarfy.

If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 01:19:48 am »

Mildly related, get a switch-puller.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 05:38:40 am »

Notes aren't dwarfy.

If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you

Sigged. (or at least I plan to: I cannot seem to be able to modify my profile...)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:41:16 am by Golcondio »

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 05:45:04 am »

Notes aren't dwarfy.

Exactly, and why else have all those colored rocks anyways if you must.

Also, what with the new burrow thingy, its much easier to have a lever control room with some idle dwarves now.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 05:50:46 am »

Mildly related, get a switch-puller.

This. also, he must be named Kronk.

PULL THE LEVEL KRONK!
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 08:41:19 am »

Colors are ok, but my system is that the lever and the stuff that is operated by it use the same mechanisms(selected during linking).
You have only a few colors but, considering how many rocks there are, and that mechanisms have qualities, my system works fine for me.

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
  • BladeBerserker cancels Life; Interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 08:49:59 am »

Will Kronk make *Spinach Puffs*?  :D

and my on-topic comment, trap-levers (For "THE PERFORATOR" etc.) are red. Always red. And arranged in a manner that further indicates what the lever is linked too. (So, if one is for the drowning chamber, and the other for the perforator to the south, the southern red lever will be for  the perforator.)

Non trap but critical levers such as the gate controls are yellow. (or brown, whichever comes first)

Random levers that're linked up to nothing in particular are generally grey.

I used to colour code the lever to the object it's linked to, but a gypsum bridge? A 12x6 gypsum bridge? No thanks.
At least that's how I do it my forts.
If it doesn't work, apply magma. If THAT doesn't work, apply Artifact Gabbro Cabinet

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 10:56:47 am »

I build a control room that is a miniature layout of my entire fortress. The lever is in the same relative position as the object it activates.

Several dwarves are then entombed into the control room and provided both with a well and a small farm plot so they can survive in there forever, with absolutely no way for anything to reach them to harm them. They then pull levers on demand in perfect safety for the rest of eternity.

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
  • BladeBerserker cancels Life; Interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 11:29:28 am »

Miniature copy of your fortress inside your fortress?

I must try this!
If it doesn't work, apply magma. If THAT doesn't work, apply Artifact Gabbro Cabinet

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 11:33:02 am »

I build a control room that is a miniature layout of my entire fortress. The lever is in the same relative position as the object it activates.

Several dwarves are then entombed into the control room and provided both with a well and a small farm plot so they can survive in there forever, with absolutely no way for anything to reach them to harm them. They then pull levers on demand in perfect safety for the rest of eternity.

The two major questions:
  • How do you handle expansion?  Doesn't that involved opening the vault to build more levers?
  • What do you do when one of the lever-folk dies?  Dwarves don't last forever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4