Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This game is for sadists. My poor soul!  (Read 13164 times)

Deus_Vult

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This game is for sadists. My poor soul!
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:27:31 pm »

Sometimes this new DF with cool new injury system makes me tremble from fear.
Gobbos that use to assault my fortress or ambush innocent dwarves have a nasty sadistic feature of character.
They like to torture. To play with their victims like a cat with mouse. It's even worse than the things that aliens did to humans!
They charge a dwarf, break few of his bones to make him stop running and it starts...torture. They break and hit every bone in his body and every internal organ. Of course, it's ok with new system BUT
this bastards don't kill their victim. At some point they just leave, with such a good timing, that victim dies 2-3 real time minutes after the last gobbo leaves the stage.
And I have imagination good enough to pretend how feels himself a victim dwarf. Brrr.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: This game is for sadists. My poor soul!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:40:26 pm »

I am a sadist. Be lucky I'm here and not out there with you.

Good to know they're computer simulations isn't it.

Although the situation (but not the actors, obviously) is completely real and happens all the time. It's how most of us will die. Alone, slowly, bleeding out/burning/drowning/having a heart attack/some other verb you probably don't want to hear, no comfort, and only the realization that if there's an afterlife you and everyone you've ever known are going to be on the receiving end of horrible things, and if not, everything has been completely meaningless and you'll be gone forever. Welcome to Earth, children. Don't bother enjoying your stay.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:52:06 pm »

goblins are anywhere near as sadistic as half of the dwarves commanded by those of this forum. think of what the dwarves do when they capture said goblins.

ice encasing chambers
magma chambers
water drowning chambers
obsidian encasing chambers
syndrome spreading chambers
100 z level pit into countless weapon traps
arenas

and lets not even start on the elves

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:15:20 pm »

Eric, you're sigged. Right fucking now.
Deus I understand. I found a female dwarf back in 40d that had moral's trait matching closely those of my girlfriend.
I joked a bit with her about how she appears in game... and never dared to continue on this save.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 07:32:20 pm »

One of us...

One of us...
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 07:46:56 pm »

I think that this is probably a result of the combat system revamp making it really hard to die from direct injuries. If you play adventure mode for a while you'll see what I mean; it's very hard to actually kill something with spears, for example.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 08:39:25 pm »

I'm gonna die to clowns in real life, i hope from laughter.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 01:23:34 am »

Hi!

You are actually forgetting a very important aspect: Goblins are not friends of the player. Goblins are a threat, kind of a natural disaster (which is toggable in the init file for those who are not interested in seeing such slaughter) and your task as a player is to stop them from slaughtering and maiming your dwarves (while some people may enjoy that aspect, the game does end with you losing if your dwarves get annihilated, so from the perspective of the game, your task is to defend against them). Thus, if you choose to play with goblins active, part of the challenge of the game is to prevent that sadism from ever taking place.

Deathworks

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 01:39:10 am »

Although the situation (but not the actors, obviously) is completely real and happens all the time. It's how most of us will die.
Mutilated by goblins.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 08:01:45 am »

What you described is pretty standart combat. But I tend to avoid that, I found out that it's much more fun to throw a bolt down someone's neck and then track them via the trail of blood they leave behind. Then I practice surgery on them. Namely amputations.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 08:42:19 am »

Pretty sure you're forgetting about all those poor, cute, little, highly edible kittens which disappeared mysteriously.

Just follow the mews. And the blood.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 08:55:03 am »

I don't know, I use kittens to paint the walls of my above-ground trade depot: I throw them down 12 z-levels and the work's done...

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 10:14:38 am »

My paint tends to walk in by itself. I have roads of it...

The cruelty thing is partly because creatures fail to target lethal bodyparts, even when their foe is lying unconcious.

The part where they leave their foe be after mangling is something they should do more often though. Its what would generally happens in a real fight; the victim would be passed out and soon to die from bloodloss, technically they arnt dead but it looks all the same. Thus the attacker just moves on because theres no sense in mangling the poor guy any further.

Unless they are just a bastard, which is what all DF creatures are right now.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 08:07:46 pm »

Although the situation (but not the actors, obviously) is completely real and happens all the time. It's how most of us will die.
Mutilated by goblins.

@#$%ING INVISIBLE GOBLINS!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

EyeOfNundinate

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you remember the lost Nundinates?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 08:32:04 pm »

"Welcome to the jungle, we have fun and games..."

This is a game about real life, the goblins have an ideology that very well fits that of the demon that may rule their civilization.
Hold no mercy in their face, for if you do, you very well are one of them for allowing them to butcher your people.

Though you may find yourself paraded upon by a unending force of sadistic crusaders, it doesn't mean you have to be sadistic to continue the game.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:36:19 pm by EyeOfNundinate »
Pages: [1] 2