Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This game is for sadists. My poor soul!  (Read 13165 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This game is for sadists. My poor soul!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 08:38:36 pm »

at least goblins don't eat the fallen warriors of their foes.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 08:45:01 pm »

for all we know, gobbos are a subcaste of elves that are hard-coded into their own file.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

EyeOfNundinate

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you remember the lost Nundinates?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 09:04:07 pm »

for all we know, gobbos are a subcaste of elves that are hard-coded into their own file.
I am still depressed that before this huge update, kobolds used to talk in elven.

Anyways, from one person to the next, goblins like dwarves are people of the earth, the only difference is that goblins don't mine, they used to solely live in the depths of the underground, and were generally hellion minions.

Dwarves humans, and maybe kobolds are more likely to be elves.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 10:23:43 pm »

My paint tends to walk in by itself. I have roads of it...

The cruelty thing is partly because creatures fail to target lethal bodyparts, even when their foe is lying unconcious.

The part where they leave their foe be after mangling is something they should do more often though. Its what would generally happens in a real fight; the victim would be passed out and soon to die from bloodloss, technically they arnt dead but it looks all the same. Thus the attacker just moves on because theres no sense in mangling the poor guy any further.

Unless they are just a bastard, which is what all DF creatures are right now.
Actually, I think that sentients in DF don't want to come back next year to find out Urist McRocky survived having every bone in his body broken nonfatally, and is now a legendary Boxer decked from head to toe in artifact adamantine equipment, with super-dwarven strength.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 10:42:05 pm »

In truth, the game's combat system is much more accurate now.  The only real difference is that there's no mechanism in place that allows units to reach down and deliver a single killing blow to an unconscious or subdued opponent, so you end up with horrible mutilations.

So really, the only causes of death are results of braindeath, resulting from lack of oxygen to the brain.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 03:03:21 am »

Although the situation (but not the actors, obviously) is completely real and happens all the time. It's how most of us will die.
Mutilated by goblins.

While fighting for your underground society of surly, stubborn, neurotic, hard-drinking, bearded midgets.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 04:35:41 am »

Although the situation (but not the actors, obviously) is completely real and happens all the time. It's how most of us will die.
Mutilated by goblins.

While fighting for your underground society of surly, stubborn, neurotic, hard-drinking, bearded midgets.

Best death scene ever. I want to die like this.

On the condition that future generations remember my image and create statues and engravings of me at every turn.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 05:30:58 am »

On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 06:04:27 am »

The part where they leave their foe be after mangling is something they should do more often though. Its what would generally happens in a real fight; the victim would be passed out and soon to die from bloodloss, technically they arnt dead but it looks all the same. Thus the attacker just moves on because theres no sense in mangling the poor guy any further.

Unless they are just a bastard, which is what all DF creatures are right now.
Actually, I think that sentients in DF don't want to come back next year to find out Urist McRocky survived having every bone in his body broken nonfatally, and is now a legendary Boxer decked from head to toe in artifact adamantine equipment, with super-dwarven strength.
I think sentients in DF know they're unlikely to live until next year so whether Urist McRocky survives until then is none of their concern :P

Grimlocke's got a good point, though - in a real fight if you subdue an enemy (knock him out, cut off limbs, whatever) then he poses no real danger to you and you'd turn your attention to a more immediate threat (like the big bastard with the axe who's charging towards you). You may get a free moment later to finish off the subdued enemy, but you're never going to keep stabbing an unconscious opponent while someone else is stabbing you.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 06:14:46 am »

I think the OP may have the interpretations backwards. Dwarves are sadists. Goblins are the game world's equivalent of social workers. They live only to wisk your poor begotten children from their abusive drunken parents to their big shiny towers where they live and play forever and listen to calypso music played on +steel drum+s. The ambushes and sieges are their way of prosecuting you for parental neglect.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 02:54:12 pm »

On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Fixed...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 04:31:05 pm »

I think the OP may have the interpretations backwards. Dwarves are sadists. Goblins are the game world's equivalent of social workers. They live only to wisk your poor begotten children from their abusive drunken parents to their big shiny towers where they live and play forever and listen to calypso music played on +steel drum+s. The ambushes and sieges are their way of prosecuting you for parental neglect.

May i sig this?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 03:37:17 pm »

I'm not sadistic. Admittedly I don't exactly care for my dwarves, but as long as they're alive the work goes on.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 08:31:23 pm »

I'm not sadistic. Admittedly I don't exactly care for my dwarves, but as long as they're alive the work goes on.

BlockedLance you begs to differ
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 05:01:23 am »

BlockedLance you begs to differ
Did I mention that I was a fiendish liar as well?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 [2]