Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Worst. Giant Cave Spider. Ever.

(1/3) > >>

Milskidasith:
So, I see the dreaded "Woodcutter interrupts work: Interrupted by GCS message. I thought I had cleared out the caverns on the upper levels, but apparently it crept along and attacked.

Bites the woodcutters baby in the head, it's paralyzed, it bleeds out. It attacks the woodcutter, trapping it in a web, and...

Its attacks constantly deflect off of her tattered clothing. It's broken her hands so far, but thats it, and he's been attacking for a few days now. My military just arrived, and should dispatch it easily, or, in a twist of fate, all die despite wearing metal masterwork armor.

EDIT: And then, after losing multiple legs, the cave spider finally bites the hapless woodcutter in the head and breaks her skull, and she bleeds to death. :(

Flaede:
the woodcutter was wearing silk clothing, yes? spider silk clothing is practically magical, due to some bug or other.

Milskidasith:

--- Quote from: Flaede on May 28, 2010, 07:56:30 pm ---the woodcutter was wearing silk clothing, yes? spider silk clothing is practically magical, due to some bug or other.

--- End quote ---

Ah, that makes more sense. The spider was also, according to its file, incredibly weak, but gigantic, so I dunno.

Has anybody else noticed that *every* animal has the gigantic tag? Are no animals merely *big* for their size? Are there no animals below the average size for that species? I don't get it.

Doppel:

--- Quote from: Milskidasith on May 28, 2010, 08:01:55 pm ---
--- Quote from: Flaede on May 28, 2010, 07:56:30 pm ---the woodcutter was wearing silk clothing, yes? spider silk clothing is practically magical, due to some bug or other.

--- End quote ---

Ah, that makes more sense. The spider was also, according to its file, incredibly weak, but gigantic, so I dunno.

Has anybody else noticed that *every* animal has the gigantic tag? Are no animals merely *big* for their size? Are there no animals below the average size for that species? I don't get it.

--- End quote ---

Ah yeah, the IWGGCS.

Kidiri:

--- End quote ---
The bug being that the game doesn't take into account that clothing is made from fabric, and assumes that the whole thing is made from a solid piece of silk. Silk is rather strong: it's been used in early bullet-proof vests and people are researching the use of (artificial) spider silk in modern ones. So it's not completely infeasible for silk clothing to alleviate the attack. However, it should be noted that those early silken bulletproof vests consisted of 18 to 30 layers of silk cloth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version