Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Report from an active Volcano, Kona, Hawai'i  (Read 376 times)

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Report from an active Volcano, Kona, Hawai'i
« on: April 30, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

Having now been on Mt. Kilauea and seeing real live flowing lava (though still never having seen magma flows) I can say that a magma flood should be quick, but jerky.

Visibly what happens is the liquid rock flows very quickly, but upon contact with air/water it cools down quite fast.  This causes the surface to cool and slow.  Soon it stops, but pressure from the remaining liquid rock builds behind it and causes the warm rock to bulge then crack, from there more liquid rock flows just as fast as before.  It's a cycle.  Above ground, in contact with air, you would never see a whole line of pure liquid rock.  It cools too fast and would form a barrier of cooler rock above it.

Also, from studying the volcanic rocks and petroglyphs out here, I've noticed that magma is mostly iron, sulphur, and various other porous rocks.  If a lava/magma flow contacts certain rocks like limestone, it burns that rock off, though if it's cool enough it could become instead encrusted with limestone forming a light or white rock exterior.  Never do you see obsidian as a result from cooled lava.

Also, while it's feasable to find a lava tube that is only half full, it's not common, and usually means that the lava source is running dry.  This may not happen though for another 30-80 years.  I have even gotten to walk through a lava tube myself.  You can see how there were different levels of magma over different points in time by how the tube formed.  What this means is the magma river should ebb over the course of the years, maybe taking as many as 100 years to finally disappate.  Of course this would have to be tied in with volcanic and techtonic activity too, so might never make it in.

Just thought I'd post my findings here in case Toady wants to make the subteranean activities of the mountain a little more realistic.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Report from an active Volcano, Kona, Hawai'i
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »

Fascinating anecdotal evidence. Dunno if it will affect DF magma, but very interesting.

Isn't it amazing how GAMES make you re-examine the real world? I've been doing that for years now.   :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by herrbdog:
<STRONG>Isn't it amazing how GAMES make you re-examine the real world? I've been doing that for years now.    :)</STRONG>

34 Things I learned from Video Games?

Andrew

• Bay Watcher
  • ░░░░░░
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

Magma/lava will have different mineral composition depending on its source. Quickly cooling lava of the right kind will become obsidian. It's mighty cool stuff, and was probably one of the first trade goods in history.

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

quote:
 Isn't it amazing how GAMES make you re-examine the real world? I've been doing that for years now.

Play sim city. Your head won't shut up about zoning.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

Heh, I've been playing SimCity since the original. Made me really look at cities in a totally different light.