Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Compostheap and fertiliser  (Read 496 times)

Crazy_Ivan80

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Compostheap and fertiliser
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

This is something that hit me when playing the new great release of DF.

Currently potash is the only way to get fertiliser afaik.
In reality, as everyone obviously knows, there are far more ways to improve the fertility of your farmingplots.

Then one I'm thinking about is compost. The storage organic refuse of all kinds (but mostly from vegetation) on a stockpile where it gets to rot, after which it can be used to increase the fertility of your arable and not so arable land.

In a secondary modus the humus component of land tiles could increase due to remants from agriculture, or the leaves of trees that fall down, etc...

caeono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Compostheap and fertiliser
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

Seconded. Put all those chunks to use...

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

And here I thought you were going to suggest manure... That would have concerned me, as it might give the rhesus macaques something else to do while attempting to raid me...
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

The spinning monkey poo hits Nesoo in the head!
It is battered!
Nesoo gives in to pain.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »

I believe this has been suggested more than once, and really, I can't agree more.

Possible trash-to-treasure options:

Compost Bin -

A workshop where otherwise useless forms of refuse such as chunks, withered plants, and corpses that can't be butchered are hauled. For every unit of refuse accumulated, a unit of compost will appear in the workshop a month or two later. The compost can be used just like potash. Obviously, this workshop doesn't require any specific skills to operate other than hauling. It would consume waste, contain miasma, and produce precious fertilizer.

Incinerator -

A furnace building that accepts any form of waste and reduces it to ash. Pretty self explanatory, and could be used to produce ash and charcoal from crap that would otherwise get thrown into a compost heap. The catch is that being an incinerator, it still requires an input of fuel to light and burn hot enough to dispose of waste. (Maybe one unit of fuel per X-number of waste disposal jobs.) Needless to say, this would make magma incinerators look a bit more attractive if you can build them.

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES