Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Optional volcanic instability  (Read 620 times)

Dari

• Bay Watcher
  • I punt kobolds.
    • View Profile
Optional volcanic instability
« on: April 11, 2008, 03:17:00 am »

Ok so I have this great fort going, it's centered around a volcanic mountain plenty of sand, relatively rich in ores, and it has this nice big fat pool of water in the middle. I made this fort with a version that's two updates behind, and so the thought of volcanic instability had not even crossed my mind whilst setting up my smelters, I plopped them right next to the edge (which in retrospect was a pretty stupid move as it is), new update comes out so I download it. I'm busy enjoying my smelting area (Magma powered) when suddenly magma spills up over the edge enveloping my smelters and forges, which in my opinion defeats the purpose of having magma based buildings. So yeah maybe an option to turn it off in the init.txt?
In case of death, coat in platinum, and worship as idol god.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Optional volcanic instability
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:34:00 am »

Volcanos don't ever overspill in the new version except when you're using a save from an older version.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

There is a kinda-sorta exception to that, actually. If you're in a location where the magma vent has frozen over so there's an obsidian cap, the vent still "thinks" that it should be one level taller than it actually is. So if you pierce the cap, then magma will bubble out of it when the vent replenishes itself.

This is probably a bug, come to think of it.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »

A bug.... or a FEATURE?

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 05:00:00 am »

A bug. Deffinetaly a bug. It only happens when transfering old saves.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 05:37:00 am »

Since we are talking erratic bugginess, what follows is kind of moot, but...

I don't think instability of this kind should be optional.  Losing is fun.  The challenge is to make mistakes, overcome losses and find a way to make it work.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast