Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Underground fish farm

(1/4) > >>

DarthCloakedDwarf:
I'm trying to create a source of fish meat and shells for my underground fortress. I am completely cut off from the surface and dare not enter the caves (I've breached the first layer, though, and I've got a freaky forgotten beast with boiling toxic sweat down there).

What can I do to get fishes in here?

Fourdots:
Why don't you dare to enter the caverns? If you can find some way to get the FB to stay still for a bit, you could drop the ceiling on it, which would kill it, and then you could wall off the outside - hell, I've had luck with mining out large columns of rock and dropping them into the caverns to wall off sections, which doesn't even require the dwarfs to enter them until they're entirely safe already.

Once that's done, you should have a source of fishes, if you wall in a bit of water with you, and if everything's working properly (if there isn't any, dig down to one of the lower cavern levels and repeat - in my experience, caverns are a lot safer than people think, as long as you're not in an evil/savage biome; generally plenty of time to wall off a section, or destroy the ramps leading to other levels, if you get in at a time when there aren't many creatures around, and flying beasts aren't too common, but maybe I'm just lucky).

Other than that, there's pretty much no way to start a fish farm. If you have access to a river, you could tap it to create an artificial lake/cistern, and fish might show up in that.

DarthCloakedDwarf:

--- Quote from: Fourdots on May 30, 2010, 01:08:28 pm ---Why don't you dare to enter the caverns? If you can find some way to get the FB to stay still for a bit, you could drop the ceiling on it, which would kill it, and then you could wall off the outside - hell, I've had luck with mining out large columns of rock and dropping them into the caverns to wall off sections, which doesn't even require the dwarfs to enter them until they're entirely safe already.

Once that's done, you should have a source of fishes, if you wall in a bit of water with you, and if everything's working properly (if there isn't any, dig down to one of the lower cavern levels and repeat - in my experience, caverns are a lot safer than people think, as long as you're not in an evil/savage biome; generally plenty of time to wall off a section, or destroy the ramps leading to other levels, if you get in at a time when there aren't many creatures around, and flying beasts aren't too common, but maybe I'm just lucky).

Other than that, there's pretty much no way to start a fish farm. If you have access to a river, you could tap it to create an artificial lake/cistern, and fish might show up in that.

--- End quote ---
There are no fish in my underground cistern or any of the pools I've created for fish.

So, there is no way to get fish underground without getting your dwarves all dead at the first forgotten beast/giant cave spider/lizardman/cave swallowman/whatever else that comes along?

I always thought fish spawned like vermin.

atomfullerene:
My underground caverns appear to have no fish (probably a bug) but that didn't stop me from making a (relatively) safe way to fish them.  Find a spot where the roof of the cavern directly covers the water (no air gap or anything).  dig down to the surface of the water, channel out a fishing hole, and install some floor grates.  Then let your dwarves fish through the grates, isolated from the main cavern

Absentia:

--- Quote from: DarthCloakedDwarf on May 30, 2010, 01:19:27 pm ---So, there is no way to get fish underground without getting your dwarves all dead at the first forgotten beast/giant cave spider/lizardman/cave swallowman/whatever else that comes along?

I always thought fish spawned like vermin.

--- End quote ---

Like he said, you can cave-in on the beast and wall off a nice section of cavern without much danger. Of course it's not perfectly safe, but this is Dwarf Fortress. If you don't have a horrible, gory disaster every now and then you're not doing it right.

And fish do spawn like vermin, it's just a question of where. The 40d wiki says "[T]hey appear spontaneously (aka "spawn") in any natural water environment and most artificially constructed ones." The 31 wiki doesn't say where they spawn. I do know that fish can swim/be washed from rivers into artificial pools if they have access (I don't know if they "teleport" like other vermin).

Just out of curiosity, why are you cut off from the surface? Voluntary challenge? Rampaging blob titan? Magma holocaust?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version