Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stalemate  (Read 1632 times)

Sjiveru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stalemate
« on: June 05, 2010, 11:34:42 am »

Hi everyone, another new guy.

I've got what's probably a bug with the military, and I was wondering if there's a workaround. I've got a nice fort with a moat and drawbridge set up, and I am currently experiencing my first goblin raid. So I've pulled up the drawbridge, and since there's no other entrance, the goblins are just standing there. I wouldn't really mind this in most cases, since my fort is pretty much self-sustaining, but there's a human caravan inside the gate and I don't want them to go insane since they can't get out. So I'd like to get rid of the goblins.

The problem is this - I've used the military menu to equip all of my military dwarves with crossbows, but none of them are marksdwarves. They've got crossbows, they've got ammo, but they're not using either. (It's not an arsenal dwarf problem, since they're all at least carrying crossbows. At least, I think so, if the check by the item in the equipment menu means that. Maybe it is an arsenal dwarf problem.) I had one squad earlier that was set to melee, so I've got a couple of hammerdwarves and whatnot, but I set up another squad for ranged and they're all still recruits. Is there any way to work around this and have my dwarves actually kill the goblins, instead of just standing on the walls staring at them?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Stalemate
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 12:07:08 pm »

This is probably the most well-known and most annoying 2010 bug. There is no such thing as a marksdwarf, except for those that come with caravans.

My only half-certain suggestion would be to build a trade depot in a location from which your caravan guards can shoot at the goblins.

However, it could be that you need to add ammunition and quivers to your marksdwarf uniform.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Sjiveru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 12:25:48 pm »

I can build a depot up on the walls. Maybe build a long, trap-filled corridor too?

EDIT: Trap corridor worked. Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:41:20 pm by Sjiveru »

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:50:11 pm »

Send the archers and hammerdwarves out to kill the goblins.  The useless dwarves will be fodder while the armed dwarves kill.  Replace the dead with immigrants, and outfit those new immigrants with axes.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 05:05:39 pm »

This is probably the most well-known and most annoying 2010 bug. There is no such thing as a marksdwarf, except for those that come with caravans.

My only half-certain suggestion would be to build a trade depot in a location from which your caravan guards can shoot at the goblins.

However, it could be that you need to add ammunition and quivers to your marksdwarf uniform.

wait so military dwarfs wont use cross bows?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 05:13:05 pm »

"Won't" is too strong a word, but there doesn't appear to be reproducible success at getting markdwarves to act like proper marksdwarves.