Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cross-border start regions  (Read 6334 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cross-border start regions
« on: April 11, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

Every once in a while I run into a situation where the region that I really want to use for my fort crosses the boundaries of the available grid. Maybe there's a vent in the upper-left corner of the region map, or a mountain that doesn't reach quite far enough to pick up some sand. It'd be nice if we could turn on a single-step scroll mode for the region map so we wouldn't be subject to this arbitrary limitation.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-border start regions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

I don't think it is quite arbitrary, in that it likely has to do with the way the map is stored....meaning Toady'd have to tinker a bit. Just pointing that out, not pointing fingers.

But I completely agree. Another great rogue-like (Unreal World) went from block maps to seamless maps a short while back and it was just WOW.

There would be a few issues to resolve of course. Between reading this and posting  a reply, I have been scouting for a new fort site. I have a spot (found with regional prospector) where if I could straddle 4 maps at the corners, I could have 3 adamantine clusters in a 6x6 or so.

HandOfCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 07:24:28 pm »

I too would love to see a seamless world map so I could do things like make magma ducts (like an aqua duct, just don't know what "magma" is in Latin).

Also how am I supposed to enact my evil world domination plan if I can't escape my region ;)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:04:50 pm »

We do already have a semi-seamless world map in DF; it's just that it's only apparent in adventure mode.  I think it would mostly be some mild tinkering with the embark screen display.  Of course, I'm no expert at this.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 08:49:39 pm »

I think that the main problem with this is that without some careful coding, if you had half a magma pipe on the map, IT WOULD FALL OFF THE EDGE OF THE WORLD.

Magma wastage makes baby Morul cry.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:03:40 pm »

I think such things are already handled with things such as the major rivers that have waterfalls at certain points.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 09:20:09 pm »

I don't think that problem would arise because it's pretty much already demonstrably handled in Adventure mode.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:25:28 pm »

I think that the main problem with this is that without some careful coding, if you had half a magma pipe on the map, IT WOULD FALL OFF THE EDGE OF THE WORLD.

Magma wastage makes baby Morul cry.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Features like magma pipes are limited within 1 48x48, IIRC, map tile. It is impossible to select half of an embark tile, so such problems would not occur. Even so, magma currently does not flow off map at all anways. /owned.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 12:17:50 am »

OMG. EPIPHANY.

DF NEEDS MAGMA RIVERS.

NOW.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 12:39:53 am »

OMG. EPIPHANY.

DF NEEDS MAGMA RIVERS.

NOW.

No.
Magma Oceans.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:03:05 am »

OMG. EPIPHANY.

DF NEEDS MAGMA RIVERS.

NOW.

No.
Magma Oceans.

Magma oceans are likely to show up in the next version, much more likely than magma rivers.

Quote from: LumenPlacidum
Will other underground features use these caves as a framework?  Will cave rivers run through it with subterranean pools forming lakes?  What will actually differentiate these from the actual surface?
Quote from: OsmosisJones
More to the point though, with this underground revamp, is there any plans with getting rid of the bizarre beginnings for cave rivers, so that they don't appear out of nothingness?

We were planning to run rivers this time around, but it's something of a hassle, so there aren't actually any flowing underground rivers yet.  They aren't essential for most things, as the giant lakes will provide infinite water from edges, but it'll be nice to put them in.  Not sure I'll have time.  Regarding the rivers appearing out of nothingness, it's kind of a tricky question, as rivers can be sourced by many different tiny water flows slowly building up as things go downhill, many of them just absorbed water in the ground.  Nothingness isn't all that different from that, especially if we don't want to put slight aquifer water everywhere that kind of forms into neglible trickles or something, as mining would then be a great hassle any time you also wanted to have a river starting up.  Real world examples of underground rivers sources (sources as in the beginning of a river, not a reference, though I guess that's an inadvertent pun) that are more interesting or modellable are welcome.

Also, underground lakes etc. will cross map edges all over the place in the next version.  They're too big not to.  So that feasibility concern is moot.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 01:56:00 am »

I suppose the caravan arc would incorporate this, you would be able to travel out with supplies and build aqueducts and other constructions off-map.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 05:39:24 am »

I too would love to see a seamless world map so I could do things like make magma ducts (like an aqua duct, just don't know what "magma" is in Latin).

[grammarnazi]
Magmat. Aquaduct is from the latin aquaeductūs, so the latin version would be magmatductūs. So it would be magmaducts.

However, since it would be going above ground, it would be lava, which comes from the italian lavo and the latin lavare (to wash). Latin noun would be lavarductūs, so the word you are looking for is lavarduct

[/grammarnazi]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 11:06:53 am »

Magmat. Aquaduct is from the latin aquaeductūs, so the latin version would be magmatductūs. So it would be magmaducts.

However, since it would be going above ground, it would be lava, which comes from the italian lavo and the latin lavare (to wash). Latin noun would be lavarductūs, so the word you are looking for is lavarduct

[/grammarnazi]

That's not how Latin word formation works.  Chopping off the genitive ending -tis for "magmatductus" doesn't follow the aqua pattern at all, and I don't think "td" is a sound often used in Latin.  "Lavarductus" also chops off the infinitive in a very strange way, plus I don't think infinitives are mashed up with nouns like that, plus the etymology you're proposing ("washing-canal") would make no sense at all even if "lava" were a Latin word and not an Italian one.

"Magmaduct" is fine, but mostly because it sounds good and has an obvious meaning.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 11:27:45 am »

English needs to make it's own words sometime instead of ripping off every other language.  The Englishman that made this language is like the Dr. Frankenstein of languages, seriously.

Back on topic, just how would this be handled, on the embark screen?  Does anyone have any ideas how it would be presented?
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2