Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: "Project Zero" - Spritists needed  (Read 9101 times)

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
Re: Project0 - Spritists needed
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2010, 05:58:31 pm »

Whoop. Made the cats smaller... they look OK I guess. They're about the size of the rats now... which is about the size they would be assuming the rats are giant. They still don't have any walking/running poses... and I'm still not getting the shading. :P

Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Project0 - Spritists needed
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2010, 06:15:13 pm »

Cats are totally fine now, thanks :).

I forgot to tell that in Fallout world all cats were dead because they couldn't eat mutated rats which grew bigger, and at the same time they were eaten by dogs... But anyway, some cool cats would be nice, probably for some rich NPCs or as expensive silly companions :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: "Project Zero" - Spritists needed
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2010, 09:14:18 pm »

I've got a new jacket+trousers in addition to the existing blue jeans and black leather jacket.

These two are orange and create a mechanic's suit when worn together:

Also I've figured out how to compress WAV files not to be huge so now Jukebox playes "Midnight Ride" by Midnight Riders. Now I only need to figure out how to make it a 3d (locational) sound.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2010, 03:17:41 pm »

Hey Deon, I am going to assume you are Deon_Urist on the BYOND forum.

We asked the same question about 3D sound at around the same time (Great minds think alike?), and someone responded with this guide:
http://www.byond.com/members/DreamMakers?command=view_post&post=46984

.midi files are your friend for sound, if you want a small download size.

Oh, and I thought 3D sound was almost impossible before I read the guide, now it seems workable :-P

EDIT: Forgot to say, this project looks amazing. I'd make games on BYOND, but I majorly suck at graphics.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:59:12 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2010, 02:18:39 am »

3d sound is possible with short sounds which appear & disappear, but it looks like there's no way to do a good 3d continous music because the source is not updated with your movement. I've partially solved the issue by using zones with different volume, but it helps only stationary sound sources, so I didn't find out how to make a mobile radio for example :).

And yeah, that tutorial and many others were read by me before I asked on their forums, I prefer to read before ask. Thanks anyway :). And yeah, I saw you too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2010, 03:10:52 am »

Yeah. It's very frusturating.

I was making the same kind of jukebox (named magical 'sound gem'). I hope they eventually make the sound change 3Dish.
Now. :-P
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2010, 09:59:56 am »

Tagged so I can follow this.

Deon, do you have a blog / website or something? With as many projects and things as you work on I'd almost like to have a central location for all of it :P

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2010, 11:20:23 am »

How long till it is playable?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2010, 03:51:04 pm »

Tagged so I can follow this.

Deon, do you have a blog / website or something? With as many projects and things as you work on I'd almost like to have a central location for all of it :P
Such a random person like me has a hard time to make anything like blarg... bloogh... blog.

How long till it is playable?
What do you mean by "playable"? I learn Byond from scratch as I go. It's like a coding self-teaching.
With time it will get more stuff and will have something to do :).

Right now you can enter the game, roam around the map, chat with players, wear/unwear things which actually appear on you and attack other players or NPCs.

Today I've made bar music to play only in the bar and sound for those who enter it.
Also it took a major part of my day, but I've managed to make Pathfinding algorithm (I took a few existing, studied how they work, salvaged most of that, read some articles on A* pathfinding and slapped all this info together... strangely it works as intended).

As an appetizer to the pathfinder algorithm I've made a basic attack-through-click which takes distance into account.

So it's not long until we get angry NPCs which actually follow players. Right now the pathfinding algorithm can be used by players (you double-click a location and a user moves there, updating his path as new obstacles appear).
I just need to write a set of rules for NPCs to use it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:52:55 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2010, 04:48:46 pm »

I can sprite for you. What do you need?
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2010, 05:01:28 pm »

Sorry, assumed no link = not playable.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2010, 05:58:50 pm »

Well, I don't have an external hosting so I have to host it if I want people to join. If you ask me I can host and show the current minor features any time.

I can sprite for you. What do you need?
I am quite short on time right now so if you could draw some more stationary props (rotated so you see the front side and part of their top) or walls (even recolors of existing would work greatly) I would really appreciate it.

Soon I will make something to kill and I will have to make new areas for hostile/neutral monsters and tasks. And the more props I will have, the less boring the landscape will be :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2010, 06:48:33 pm »

Will there be mining/underground stuff?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2010, 06:52:59 pm »

Deon, I think (haven't tested) I know how to update a 3D sound. You can use SOUND_UPDATE in the sound datum 'status'.
It's in the reference here:
http://www.byond.com/members/?command=reference&path=sound%2Fvar%2Fstatus

Maybe send the update every few seconds?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2010, 08:00:30 pm »

I tried but failed. Did it work for you? For me it just removes the muted status.

Will there be mining/underground stuff?
Haha, here comes the dwarf :3.
I plan to restrict terrain modifying in locations (like cities) to destroying of walls/props but allow mining/terraforming in non-habited areas. This way I plan to avoid total destruction of finely tuned and lovely built environments while still giving ability to do what you want :). But I want to code the survival part first.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6