Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: "Project Zero" - Spritists needed  (Read 8961 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
"Project Zero" - Spritists needed
« on: May 30, 2010, 08:52:55 pm »

Greetings. Encouraged by Head's awesome DWARFED I slowly learn to code in BYOND and make my own little game.

It's going to be an old good post-apocalyptic RPG, in the theme of Wasteland. I remember when I was a kid and played that game, I always wanted to play it with my friends... Now I will try to make it.

Anyway, I have some job done and I slowly work on the environment, but the pixel art drawing really slows me down (although it's a fun thing).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Different shades are there because of the lighting system.

If you want and can contribute a pixelart in the same style related to post-apocalyptic America (anything: car tires, bottles, lemonade machines, broken robot parts) I would really love you to post it in this thread.

Common tiles are 32x32.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:55:26 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project0 - Spritists needed
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:17:17 pm »

Hmm, looks cool. I'm gonna do a couple, but how should I do a transparent background? I haven't really done anything for a BYOND game (or... much else for that matter) before.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 09:41:22 pm »

You can do a white background, I think I will change little details anyway (to make things to fit on tables, in cupboards etc.) so background cropping is not a problem for me.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:54:48 pm »

Alright, sounds good.

Edit: K, here's a few I did quickly to get into it.
Hope you can use those, I'm gonna do a couple more and call it a night I think.

Edit2: Quick question though. In your picture up there are the tiles supposed to be 32x32? I copied and opened the picture for reference and it didn't occur to me until just now that they were considerably larger than that when I opened the picture.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:29:38 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 10:43:30 pm »

I would suggest to draw objects like bottles etc. bigger if you mean them as usable items and not parts of the landscape. I don't want people to endure pixel-hunting :P. A good example for a bottle-size would be 3/4 of that lamp on the top screenie.

Tires look awesome, thank you very much.

Meanwhile I drew a TV.

Right now it toggles between on/off (black screen/animated white noise) but I will use it to broadcast news on different channels (weather, leader of town etc.) in a distant future (by showing different of many drawn animations based on global world variables).

P.S. Also a good trick to make objects easy-to-spot is to make them brighter and use a dark outline of 1 pixel.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:45:04 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:55:52 pm »

I've used them both for garbage. Awesome, thank you.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:57:42 pm »

Alright, sounds good. I'll make a bigger bottle. If you can use the first one for landscape stuff (in cabinets or on counters/tables) go for it. Here's a drink machine... it turned out happier than I meant it to, but there's a ruined one too that might work.

...post since I started posting. Ooooh, they actually look good in use. Cool!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 11:03:04 pm »

I already raepd your bottle (making it bigger and adding a sticker and a bottlecap).

If you don't like me modifying your sprites tell me and I'll stop.

Awesome machine. Mind if I make it less saturated though, to go with the brown-ish theme of the world?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 11:07:32 pm »

Heck no I don't mind. I'm just playing around with this and having fun, so go ahead and do whatever you want with them. Here's another bottle too:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 11:09:28 pm »

More bottles -> more drinks.

And what is a bad world without good strong drinks? Men have to drink something to make them happier :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 11:11:07 pm »

Haha yup. Aaaand... the same bottle, slightly better:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 11:12:50 pm »

Thanks. Your help is VERY appreciated. It may seem to be just a few sprites, but it actually saved me enough time to code in some more stuff like opening/closing of closets (and to smoke and drink a coffee :P).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 11:21:33 pm »

Haha no problem. I have some more trash, this time paper:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 11:27:36 pm »

I've made your machine just a bit less saturated and it fits great.

Also I've made a cola version:

Those red/orange/green variations strangely good fit to Cola/Fanta/Sprite colors :P.

Oh man, if only you could make a jukebox, I could make it to play songs from L4D2 then... Ah well, I am not in a position to make requests :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 11:30:23 pm »

Haha ok, I'll do that for my last of the night. I have some trashcans for now:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6