Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Goblin scaredycats? >:(  (Read 744 times)

subbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Goblin scaredycats? >:(
« on: May 31, 2010, 03:30:40 pm »

Mayday 40d fort in year 7, 28 dwarves and almost 2 million wealth, and the goblins and kobolds have stopped.

This happened in my last fortress in year 25 or the settlement, so this time I embarked right between two goblin fortresses to try and keep the flow of terror/vengeance going. 

All was well for a while, plenty of ambushes, but now they've stopped showing up.  Yes, they're on in the inits - I never turned them off.

How do I get them to come back?  It's boring without ambushes, snatchers, or thieves, and my plan to cave-in the mountain will only keep me entertained for so long.
After you get done trading, just give it away as a tribute. It'll really boost public perception of your fort if your dwarves are willing to give people the chert off their back.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Goblin scaredycats? >:(
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 04:08:06 pm »

I think only one civ per race actually attacks you. Furthermore, because a civ's invasions draws from the populations of all their cities at once, it doesn't necessarily matter if you embark near to more than one dark fortress.

The reason why the flow of enemies has stopped likely has something to do with exhausting the units available to that civ. They will eventually start sieging you again. However, I don't think any data exists to let us predict how long it will be until then. One of my forts went sixteen years between invasions by treants (a modded-in enemy race) after I completely massacred ten 64+ treant sieges in a row.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

subbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 06:45:07 pm »

Curses.  Then I have no other option to keep my champions busy and stop them slaughtering the wildlife before I can catch it:  remove the Magma Safety Gates, we're hunting Firemen.

P.S.  I've wondered ever since I first saw it:  what is your avatar?
After you get done trading, just give it away as a tribute. It'll really boost public perception of your fort if your dwarves are willing to give people the chert off their back.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:18:02 pm »

I had a long-lived fort with a killer squad of champions in 40d.  The goblins do start to come back, no matter how many you kill.  Or even if they know your squad could kill their entire civilization.