Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The "tail" of Roomreined, slayer of [Spoilers]  (Read 4881 times)

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
The "tail" of Roomreined, slayer of [Spoilers]
« on: May 31, 2010, 08:52:48 pm »

I will do my best to convey the tale of Roomreined, also known as Imirareli to the dwarves.

The dwaves of Mustyvale had just breached the third caverns, planning to move their forces deeper into the earth, when Omethu showed up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Deep Walls have faced several forgotten beasts before, including inorganics, crushing Usa with a cave in.

When Usa met his demise, the collapsing ceiling also took out the bridge leading outside the mountain, cutting off trade, and forcing the dwarves to sustain themselves, but they prevailed.

In the northwest section of the cave at the edge of a cave lake, the dwarves created a new refuse pile during this time. It was centered on the corpse of an elf. He had survived the swim to the shore, after the bridge collapsed, but was unable to find his way out of the caves, and bled to death.

As sort of a mock memorial, the dwarves piled bones, corpses, rotten meat, and anything else considered garbage, so that this dead elf and others would know how much the dwarves of Mustyvale respected the elves.

I am playing with 31.03, so my vermin don't rot and, as you can see, when this area was closed off a few stray cats were left behind. Their numbers have since increased, breeding as they do, hunting and playing in the former dumping grounds of the dwarves.

Two levels below are the shores to the northwest lower lake and the mushroom forest that lies beyond.

This is the top left corner of my map, thus one of the areas open to creatures coming in from the side. This is also where Omethu made his first appearance.

Since he was composed of flame, I, foolishly, didn't worry about him at first. He couldn't fly, so I figured, since he was land locked he would eventually go away.

He must have seen the cats and kittens on the other side, because he dove right into the water.

I thought he had just committed suicide, but then slowly realized his temperature was so hot that he was able to created a dry path, evaporating the water as he went through, steam rising up as he approached the southern shore where the he first spotted the cats.

Reaching the other side, I began to scramble the dwarves, the cats would keep him occupied, but the dwarves needed a means to defeat this forgotten beast.

He is represented by the "Q" in the pic below, a cat and kitten nearby.

Burning everything in it's path, launching fire balls at cats, some of the kittens made their way across to the other side where Omethu first showed up, since the water had been lowered so much and was slowly refilling due to all of the mushroom growth underneath the cave lake.

One kitten did not follow the others.
Roomreined, also known as Imirareli to the dwarves, remained behind.

Before sealing off this refuse area, I had a few practicing engravers make graffiti in various sections to improve their skills for the future true fortress. One of these areas was just above the northwest lake.

Pictured below with Roomreined.

Roomreined ran from Omethu following the dead end path. The dwarves of Mustyvale would insist that he wasn't running at all and that he was instead leading Omethu to his doom.

Combat log below.

You may find it comforting to know that Roomreined did make it over to his family on the other side of the lake before the waters refilled the area.

When all is said and done, whether one argues that the kitten got lucky, or that he was chased and didn't have a plan of action, whether you believe it was the fall that actually killed the forgotten beast and that Roomreined just happen to survive hiding in the cramped spaces of the ledge avoiding the fireballs, one thing is for certain:

The legends will record that Roomreined was the true slayer.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:21:33 pm by burned »
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: The "tail" of Roomreined, slayer of [Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 09:03:29 pm »

if I were an artist, I would give Roomreined the fanart he deserves.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:27:58 pm »

I am currently training four engravers, in various halls. Some of their images relate to previous forgotten beasts and I am crossing my fingers for them to engrave some "fanart" of Roomreined.

I wish I had the skill to illustrate something like bronzemurder or the like, but hopefully the screencaps and written part provide enough details.

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 11:34:18 pm »

Most awesome cat I've heard of, in Dwarf Fortress, at least.

You should make him a temple, and fill it with fish and nubile female cats, to breed a stronger race of cats.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 11:39:18 pm »

Nice little story....just one of those things that remind us of why we love this game. Oh, and just because the little one deserves it:
(there's a firey shell in there....somewhere....I think.) The little kitten should be honored and praised.......until the food supply runs out.

....Mm, maybe I should get back to work.......

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:42:37 pm by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 01:44:56 am »

Nice story. I especially like how the forgotten beast got across the lake.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:33:35 am »

You should have masons/metalsmiths make statues and hope to get some of the event. Then you can place those statues wherever you like, instead of just getting an image in an engraving in an inappropriate place... not that I could think of a place where you WOULDN'T want this recorded.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 10:40:46 am »

Awesome picture, Kobold! and you're right, this is one of those stories that the game played out, without having to add any embellishment and no influence by myself. Aside from why the cats were locked out there on the elven refuse pile, I only watched as the events unfolded.

Yes, a temple or monument or some such is in order and great idea about the statue! I hadn't thought of that.

So far there are 15+ cats and kittens on the "island". The water has almost finished refilling the cave lake, after close to two years.

In that time, they have been visited by a tribe of Troglodytes and a herd of Elk birds, both nonaggressive to the the cats, although I feel their luck is going to run out soon.

If they do meet their end, perhaps I could build the temple on the island itself or if I can get to them before this happens, maybe build some sort of sanctuary on the island itself, so that hostile creatures can't harm them?

Normally cats would be quickly made into leather bags and that night's appetizers with one or two left alive for vermin catching, but there is definitely something different about this clowder.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:44:25 am by burned »

The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 10:55:59 am »

It's the second coming of Scamps!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 11:14:51 am »

Obviously the Beast died of cuteness overload, having wandered the underworld for so long.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 01:02:34 pm »

Awesome "tail".  Thanks for sharing!

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 07:20:01 pm »

Goblin 1: "I say we sack that fort over there.
Goblin 2: "Forget it."
Goblin 1: "Why?"
Goblin 2: "Appearantly they have a cat that kills forgotten beasts. That are on fire."
Goblin 1: "You`re right, lets seek out the elven king of dwarves instead.
Goblin 2: "...I don`t think I should around with you."