Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: No such thing as plate mail  (Read 6072 times)

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: No such thing as plate mail
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

Maybe it's just me, but I always been under the impression that it was some kind of slang. Mail, as I always seen it, is some kind of suit of armor. This is probably where "chain mail" come from.

Of course, "chain mail", historically, mean absolutly nothing... Just as plate mail or scale mail. However, if we take for granted that mail is used as a slang for a suit or armor, it make a lot of sense.

Edit: Also, if I had to make a definition of armor mail in the same train of thought, I'd say that it's the combinaison of numerous layers of different pieces of armor in the goal of creating a complete set to protect the body of the wearer as a whole. Scale mail is pretty much like banded armor which is already a suit of bands place on one another (but usually, in fantasy setting, using scales of strong monsters such a dragon), and full plate is a lot of small individual pieces of plate armor one after the other.

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Eagle of Fire ]

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

quote:
Would you like splinters with that?

Well it IS a double-sided lance, so getting seconds wouldn't be a problem.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>No such thing as goblins either but what'cha gonna do?     :p</STRONG>

Don't be silly - You can't compare apples and oranges. One is fictional race, which I accept and other is well-known armor type, where correct name could be easily used.

tail -f -n 10 df_27_176_38a/gamelog.txt

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aha:
<STRONG>

Don't be silly - You can't compare apples and oranges. One is fictional race, which I accept and other is well-known armor type, where correct name could be easily used.</STRONG>

If you're going to be complain about the names of armor, then you should be complaining about "chain mail." Ideally you find someone who prefers "chain," and someone who prefers "maille," and then they can fight over it while Toady ignores them and implements armies.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

Considering the actual "suit of plate mail"only protects the torso, I renamed it to cuirass. You could also use breastplates. Of course, your tastes may vary.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

Bumping and...wwhat about having other kinds of armor? Like, brigandine, scale mail, reinforced leather(NOT studded, which I don't think ever existed), padded(made out of cloth rather than leather)?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

What the hell is studded leather armor?  I've always envisioned leather armor with little metal rivets in it that, while decorative, doesn't exactly make for better armor.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>What the hell is studded leather armor?  I've always envisioned leather armor with little metal rivets in it that, while decorative, doesn't exactly make for better armor.</STRONG>

Well, yeah, after a quick internet check and some common sense, it doesn't exist.  Closest I could find was splint armor, but that was only used for leggings and greaves, and consisted of metal strips sewn into a backing.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Daniel Charms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 02:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>Dwarfs and elves have a historical background as well, and they too are inaccurately represented in the game.
</STRONG>

Dwarves and Elves have quite a history of being inaccurately represented. Not that there ever was a correct representation to begin with; they are fictional creatures and there is no wrong or right way of doing something in fiction. It's all a matter of convention (or personal preference, if you wish) - and conventions can be broken.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 02:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>What the hell is studded leather armor?  I've always envisioned leather armor with little metal rivets in it that, while decorative, doesn't exactly make for better armor.</STRONG>

That is what D&D makes it out to look like, I think the "better defence" idea comes from the assumption that a little bit of metal would protect you a little better against slashing weapons.

*Shrugs*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 02:59:00 am »

The studs are magnetic, you see.  This makes it impossible for an attacker to pull their sword away from you armor, allowing you to dodge away, "catch" their sword on you armor, and hack away at a now weaponless foe.

Sucks against archers though.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 04:25:00 am »

quote:
there is no wrong or right way of doing something in fiction

There's historical and ahistorical, but I'm guessing that distinction is only really important to historians.  Many of the ancient texts are inconsistent in their descriptions of mythological creatures, anyway.
It does seem kind of weird to be using ancient religions for role-playing games, like 1000 years from now gamers wondering how many hitpoints Jesus must've had to survive the flogging or how many experience points Buddha needed for enlightenment.  (That's almost a Koan right there.)
It seems ... a little insulting ... to reduce a once-proud religion to, "ZOMG cyclops rolls 20!  Your henchman just got eaten!"
On the other hand the Age of Mythology "pig mission" was one of the coolest experiences in video game history, and we have the Greeks to thank for the original idea.  If the Scots can reduce the American experience to "Grand Theft Auto" I don't mind being the one to save Odysseus' bacon ... so to speak.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

Actually, the "plate mail" in DF is, indeed "plate mail", as in "plated chainmail" - it's not a suit of full-plate armor, it is more like a chainmail with a chestplate and metal bands. You could also call it "banded mail", I guess.

I modded in separate chestplates and suits of full-plate armor in my mod anyways.  :p

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

Studded armor is called a brigantine in real life...
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Actually, the "plate mail" in DF is, indeed "plate mail", as in "plated chainmail" - it's not a suit of full-plate armor, it is more like a chainmail with a chestplate and metal bands. You could also call it "banded mail", I guess.  :p</STRONG>

What basis do you have for this assumption?

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5