Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: No such thing as plate mail  (Read 6070 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: No such thing as plate mail
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

Have any of you lads heard of "Live Steel"?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2008, 02:12:00 am »

Very righteous, Kagus.

Am I the only one that wants to see weapon types severely expanded upon?

There's like 50 different types of axes. It's mentioned somewhere that Dwarfs can't used human great-axes because the axes are too big for them, but surely they could be scaled down a bit. It's just common sense that a short, massive race of warriors would seek to improve their reach and their striking power.

Real-world pygmies hunt elephants with these great big spears. Why shouldn't Dwarfs hunt dragons with big long axes?

I'm hoping that eventually we see a given AxeDwarf who eventually has to make a choice between specializing in the Lochabar, Francesca, Broad-axe, Bearded Axe, or Big Scary Meat-Cleaver  :D

For they would be your masters.

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2008, 02:47:00 am »

Great thread. Glad to see the myths slain already, saves me a load of trouble.   :D  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Sb0EHsxA8

[ February 17, 2008: Message edited by: Romantic Warrior ]

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 03:19:00 am »

Well the lovely thing about these gents is that they're not really re-enacting.  They're fighting each other.

No choreography, no planned and sequenced strikes, just blunted weapons, layers of armor, and a wild gleam in the eye.

There is, of course, a bit of play-acting for the death blows.  Just about everything else is freeform.  That guy really didn't intend to lose his longaxe.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2008, 09:50:00 am »

quote:
I do maillemaking as a hobby, so that technically makes me an armourer. But most of the stuff I make is decorative or has another use. The latest being a pair of pois. Anyhow, foam swords eh? You might as well go with aluminum then seeing as its about 1/3 the weight of steel. But galvie will work just fine. The weight of your shirt will be considerable. How long does it reach down the torso and are you including sleeves?

Aluminium is too soft, and will bend and links will break unless I solder the rings... Which is far too much work for my starting skills. Also, aluminium tend to lose it's color and wear out.

I know that the weight will be considerable, but it's the whole point: in the LARP I will use that chainmail in, the weight is a direct factor in the amount of protection the armor will give out.

I'll probably start with the shirt and a chain helmet (called a camail in french, no idea in english), then I'll continue further down as time allow.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

Chain shirts are called a byrnie, then a haubergeon, then a hauberk. The nomenclature is rather confusing, but it seems to depend on how long the sleeves and torso are. Hauberks generally reach down to the knees for example.

Aluminum is more than strong enough for larping if all you guys use is foam swords. The rings will only come apart under constant strain and they will only break if you apply a spike of stress the material can't spring back from. So a real sword or getting your coat stuck in some industrial machinery would do the trick. Otherwise the only real problem you will have is the rings discolouring over time. But they will do this anyway because the rings rub together. A headpiece made of chain is generally called a coif.

Since slashing damage is the least of your worries agianst foam swords, a looser weave with bigger and thicker rings is your best bet. For serious armour you would instead want a very tight weave a with small rings.

In either case I would heartily suggest you get an arming coat. An authentic one is annoying to make, so you can just get a skintight t-shirt and add some padding under the armpits and on top of the shoulders. Makes weaking the mail a lot more comfortable.

If you haven't already I would suggest visiting the Maille Artisans International League webpage. MAIL get it? Its a rather large resource on all aspects of mail making. There are others, but MAIL is the best general resource I could find.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

Where do you think I took all my informations about making my chainmail?  ;)

Trust me about aluminium... It's not strong enough for serious LARPing. Not that I'd garantee wear and tear, but some LARPS can get quite serious. We sure don't mind running into trees and rolling on the ground fighting, and all that sort of stuff...  :p

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »

Ah great then. There are other resources as well but you have to do some digging to find the useful info.

Do you have the cliche guy in robes yelling LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!?

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]