Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Horrors from the deep  (Read 6111 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Horrors from the deep
« on: August 21, 2006, 05:01:00 pm »

Finish my bridge over the lava was a huge mistake.

I dug far too deep, although not very greedily.  My interest was purely scientific!

None of my traps, draw-bridges, choke pointed lined with archers, none could stop what I dug up.  Soon my entire fortress was flooded (along with the outside!) and it was only a matter of time before the few dwarves hiding in a couple dry rooms were found, and burnt to cinders.

My question is, is there any way to defeat these things, or are they designed to be more or less unstoppable.  Near the end of the battle I did notice one had some slight damage to its hand!  So.. my arrows did SOMETHING.

I hope the bastard gets a nasty infection and dies!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Horrors from the deep
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 05:31:00 pm »

It isn't technically impossible.  You don't even have to flood your dungeon to do it, but it's also possible to have a population of 200 (and a bit of an army) and so on before you keep going, though I'm not sure anybody has reached that level of stability.  Since you haven't found any ooooo special metals you can reason that you haven't found the bottom yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »

oooo special metals?  I'd be happy if I ever found coal!

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 06:48:00 pm »

Toady: they have a tendency to destroy your floodgates and doors, flooding your whole fortress unless if you build a channel as a fallback.

Arcanum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 07:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Baro:
<STRONG>oooo special metals?  I'd be happy if I ever found coal!</STRONG>

Heh, you and me both.  Based on their relative frequencies, you'd think silver is nearly worthless while iron and coal are the most precious metals on the planet.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 07:26:00 pm »

I've got so much worthless useless silver, gold, and platinum.

Copper and tin is in good supply at least, iron has been found on a few maps, but never ever ever coal.  But that's fine, trees grow back and I always play on heavily forested.  Got two legendary wood burners burning on full power!

Darkfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 02:12:00 am »

I found a couple veins of coal on my last map, but I couldn't get my metalsmith to use it, he still wanted charcoal or coke.  How do I process the coal into coke?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 02:17:00 am »

It's something like "make coal bars" at the smelter, unless someone corrects me.

Darkfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 03:08:00 am »

Ah okay, I saw that option and had queued up some of them to see if "coal bars" counted as the coke that the smith wanted, but that fortress went down in flames before I could test it out.  Thanks.

pauli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 07:53:00 am »

my last game, i found a HUGE vein of coal and galena between the chasm and the lava. thing is, i didn't have the slightest bit of iron...

Dehydration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>It isn't technically impossible.  You don't even have to flood your dungeon to do it, but it's also possible to have a population of 200 (and a bit of an army) and so on before you keep going, though I'm not sure anybody has reached that level of stability.  Since you haven't found any ooooo special metals you can reason that you haven't found the bottom yet.</STRONG>

I'm maybe three migrations from passing the 200-dwarf limit, but since I've been relying on massed traps in chokepoints and war dogs to keep my fortress safe and secure I don't have much idea of how to effectively build a military.

I do think it's pretty amazing that the (bad) strategy I use in pretty much every RTS game of pumping static defenses and turtling translates so easily to this game. The flexibility is really something to marvel at.

shouldn''t trust the phones. They''re full of gas.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »

Am i not turtlely enough for the turtle club?

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 01:55:00 pm »

My entire fortress... well the corridors, will be trapped... and I'm an ocder with a set uniform design that means that when they come, they won't make it past the infinite lines of falling rocks.

I can picture the dragon charging, and a continous stream of rocks ponking it in the head

>.> ponk.

HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 03:54:00 pm »

The massed traps work well for two reasons.

They are always on duty.
They are cheap.

Don't be too surprised if toady adds "Trap Detection" to enemies.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 04:03:00 pm »

Many enemies already have it, though you can still mass trap-process some attacks.  There are also a few tricks they have learned which I won't spoil, though they might be hard to notice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5