Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Protecting a fort from flying building destroyers

(1/6) > >>

DarthCloakedDwarf:
I am probably the most military-incompetant person ever, and can't stop anything bigger than a hoary marmot from utterly crushing my fort. So, instead of killing them with axes and arrows, I've decided to defeat sieges and thieves by blocking enemy paths, keeping them outside until they get bored and go home. It's pretty easy against anything that's on land. However, giant bats, which goblins love to ride, complicate matters.

So, I have a few questions.

1: Can flying creatures path in a vertical diagonal fashion? IE, can they path through this (side view) :
_#
#_

2: Will a mounted demon lawgiver on a giant bat path like a giant bat or like a demon lawgiver, or some horrifying combination (ie, will they act like they have BUILDINGDESTROYER_2 and seek out my hatches?)

3: Will a mounted demon lawgiver trigger traps?

4: If a mounted demon lawgiver triggers a cage trap, will both be affected?

5: How can I wall off a fortress from these guys and still be able to let in merchants?

HAMMERMILL:
Just construct an above ground structure with a roof to cover the entrance to your fort.

You can build ramps that go up to the roof outside of the building so you can build a roof without needing any hatches.

Also:

1. No idea what that means.
2. Quite likely
3. No, traps don't work on demons/FB/Titans
4. Probably just the rider or mount that doesn't have the [trap avoid] tag would get caught while one or the other runs through.
5. Yes. Build a drawbridge wide enough for them to come into and put your trade depot indoors. Keep the drawbridge down untill whatever horrible thing comes along then raise it. Building destroyers only destroy drawbridges if you try to drop the bridge on them.

Scruga:

--- Quote from: HAMMERMILL on June 03, 2010, 11:53:44 am ---Just construct an above ground structure with a roof to cover the entrance to your fort.

You can build ramps that go up to the roof outside of the building so you can build a roof without needing any hatches.

--- End quote ---
now how about them traderfolks?

magma/water airlock?

Noble Digger:
I was attacked by mounted elves (riding Horses) at Bustnut, but I don't remember how they handled cage traps. If both creatures were inside the same trap or if they got trapped separately, etc. Maybe they just dismounted upon being discovered in ambush, I forget. :(

Psieye:
I think there's 2 pieces of information I've read you need:
1) Flying building destroyers can't destroy stuff directly above their heads, so locked hatches can't be destroyed from below.
2) A raised drawbridge is invincible to everything including your own dwarves.

I've not tested them directly as I tend to avoid the problem entirely while I get my military up - I embark away from Evil Savage areas so I don't have to deal with flying undead building destroyers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version