Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Real Life glowing pit.  (Read 8702 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Real Life glowing pit.
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:22:02 pm »

Not sure if this already wasn't posted, but oh well...

Also known as "door to hell" (oddly fitting), it's a soviet gas mining operation that went terribly wrong, it has been burning ever since...

Website I got the images, it also has some youtube footage: http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2008/03/25/darvaz-the-door-to-hell/

I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Real Life glowing pit.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 07:24:18 pm »

That is incredibly awesome. Now someone had better cap it before something invades from below.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:39:25 pm »

If they're playing 40d then there is no problem since they obviously killed the demons and they don't re spawn. Then got killed by a tantrum spiral that's what went wrong.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

EyeOfNundinate

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you remember the lost Nundinates?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 07:42:06 pm »

Hmm, damn Russia, it is getting more appealing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:44:17 pm »

What a waste...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:18:14 pm »

Been discussed several times here already, and yea, its an enourmous waste of potential fuel, but there's really nothing that can be done due to its size and the origin of the fire.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:49:11 pm »

Didn't they try to nuke it? It would work pretty well if the blast zone was larger than the pit.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:58:22 pm »

Russian diplomats should meet foreign envoys there and kick them in if the meeting goes poorly.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:17:19 pm »

Seems like they could redirect a river or something to put the fire out. Well, nevermind, it looks like a desert wasteland there.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:30:10 pm »

Horrifying screams come from the darkness below!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:33:07 pm »

Seems like they could redirect a river or something to put the fire out. Well, nevermind, it looks like a desert wasteland there.

The flames are gas seeping out of the rock. If the bowl filled up, the gas would just bubble up through the water and ignite right above it.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 09:47:06 pm »

The flames are gas seeping out of the rock. If the bowl filled up, the gas would just bubble up through the water and ignite right above it.

Actually this could lead to some interesting phenomenon. The flames there can't be doused because they probably extend underground (like that coal mine fire in that american city that had to be abandoned). Probably the gas is so heated there that it already combusts spontaneously, plus the whole soil might transport oxygen to it from below... maybe the lake would turn into a giant (and lethal due to CO2) hot tub.. or it would have bubbles made of fire  :P
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 09:53:30 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Yeah, that fire is apparently impossible to put out as well.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 10:09:20 pm »

Doesnt Russia also have the largest open mining pit where its self generating wind vortexes that suck in virgins and helicopters?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 10:11:51 pm »

Yes, the Russians did that too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:34:30 pm by HAMMERMILL »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6