Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Real Life glowing pit.  (Read 8701 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real Life glowing pit.
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 08:01:14 pm »

They just need to pump water from a local brook into an aqueduct that outlets into the hole.

That's what I did to cap an open magma pipe in one of my forts. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 08:44:48 pm »

I believe the massive fire is actually the result of an attempt to turn nuclear weapons into economically useful tools, either by fracturing rock trapping in natural gas, or attempting to extinguish a runaway well fire.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 09:25:36 pm »

The massive fire was done intentionally to burn away the methane.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 09:37:29 pm »

The massive fire was done intentionally to burn away the methane.

I have actually read about that hole in some magazine and as I have quoted Sarvesh, it IS because of this.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 09:43:23 pm »

Yeah, methane is poisonous and a highly potent greenhouse gas, its also very clean burning.

So in some weird way, having a massive fire that never stops burning is ecologically better then the alternative.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 10:19:05 pm »

Yeah, methane is poisonous and a highly potent greenhouse gas, its also very clean burning.

So in some weird way, having a massive fire that never stops burning is ecologically better then the alternative.
Wait, so we could solve that greenhouse gas problem by sending it all to the Russians? sounds simple.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 10:27:35 pm »

Wait, so we could solve that greenhouse gas problem by sending it all to the Russians? sounds simple.

We send aerosol cans of CO2 to Russia, then record the effects of ten thousand at a time being dumped on the fire, posting on YouTube.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 10:28:39 pm »

We send aerosol cans of CO2 to Russia, then record the effects of ten thousand at a time being dumped on the fire, posting on YouTube.

And gygas.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 12:12:31 pm »

Methaneīs about as toxic as nitrogen. At body temperature it will do absolutely nothing whatsoever. Itīs the explosive nature that makes it dangerous.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 12:33:40 pm »

Methaneīs about as toxic as nitrogen. At body temperature it will do absolutely nothing whatsoever. Itīs the explosive nature that makes it dangerous.

Methane by itself indeed is innocous, but I think that the mine gas probably has other components alongside. Sulphuric and nitrous stuff maybe? And even mercury.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 12:48:41 pm »

Damp (mining)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to:navigation, search
Historically, gases (other than breathable air) in coal mines in Britain were collectively known as "damps". This comes from the Middle Low German word dampf (meaning "vapour"), and was in use by 1480 [1].

Damps included:

After damp, a mixture of gases (carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and others) produced following explosions of firedamp or coal dust
Black damp, stythe or choke damp, a suffocating mixture of nitrogen and carbon dioxide[2]
Fire damp, any mixture of flammable gases, principally methane
Stink damp, usually hydrogen sulfide; toxic and explosive, but easily detectable by the smell
White damp, carbon monoxide, highly dangerous due to being both toxic and explosive
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2010, 12:54:14 pm »

Damp (mining)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to:navigation, search
Historically, gases (other than breathable air) in coal mines in Britain were collectively known as "damps". This comes from the Middle Low German word dampf (meaning "vapour"), and was in use by 1480 [1].

Damps included:

After damp, a mixture of gases (carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and others) produced following explosions of firedamp or coal dust
Black damp, stythe or choke damp, a suffocating mixture of nitrogen and carbon dioxide[2]
Fire damp, any mixture of flammable gases, principally methane
Stink damp, usually hydrogen sulfide; toxic and explosive, but easily detectable by the smell
White damp, carbon monoxide, highly dangerous due to being both toxic and explosive

Carbon monoxide is explosive?  :o Although that's wikipedia, no one can ever be sure..

Also, tadpoles.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2010, 05:16:30 pm »

Carbon monoxide is explosive?  :o Although that's wikipedia, no one can ever be sure..

Read that line again, carefully.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 05:27:37 pm »

I'm talking about that white damp line. Unless I'm terrbly confused

Also, tadpoles.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 07:09:05 pm »

MSDS for Carbon Monoxide. Note that it has 4 out of 4 points for flammability. I'd say that if you get this in a decent mix with oxygen, then you'd better not have an ignition source nearby or you're in trouble. Explosion limits are usually quoted as "high" (one source quoted between 12.5vol% and 75vol% for the explosion limits), which means it won't reach explosion limits before you're dead. However, it could form an explosive mixture nearby, without you having real trouble with it and then go boom...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 07:13:53 pm by Virex »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6