Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make the overview map clickable.  (Read 938 times)

NowhereMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Make the overview map clickable.
« on: May 04, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

i love the game.

one suggestion i have:
scrolling around the map (in fortress mode) gets a bit tedious.
i think this could be alleviated by making the overview map clickable.

thanks

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make the overview map clickable.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:43:00 pm »

The game is made to function as an old-school rougue-like, so I don't think that would be...well at least not needed.
More over, I don't think it's even possible.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 05:54:00 am »

Oh I'm fairly sure it's possible. The game already has mouse support for lots of other things.

NowhereMan, you can scroll (2x) faster by holding Shift while scrolling.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

It'd also be nice if you could click on the minimap to transport to that sector;.

Selkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 04:09:00 am »

Man this would be useful, and the mouse would finally have a purpose rathen than being in and doing nothing, i take it sooner or later the mouse could also be used to help designate areas.....

start ignoring rant here
Narushima i know this game started off as a roguelike, and in some respects it still has a roguelike "feel" i think it's starting to become something far different to roguelikes except in graphics. Especially once the third dimension gets fully implemented. IMO the only thing holding this game back from a far larger audience is the graphics, whenever i show this to someone they are fascinated by my discriptions of it and the stories i have to tell, but they have difficulty getting past the ASCII style. For alot of people graphics DO add to the gameplay.
stop ignoring rant here

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 12:15:00 pm »

The mouse can already be used to in designation mode (dig, smooth, remove, chop, pick plants, etc.) and you can right click to re-center the yellow 'X', and if it moves somewhere far enough, it will recenter the map itself.

Selkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »

yeah i found that out about 15 minutes after i posted   :(  soooo just ignore that bit

NowhereMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

Xeirxes: i think we're talking about the same thing. when i said 'overview' map, i meant the one that you can see while you're playing if you push tab a few times. ( i guess it's on by default)

Core Xii:  thanks. i was aware of the shift thing which  makes designating areas and selecting workshops in 'q/t' mode much easier.  i had difficulty using it until i figured out that i needed to have numlock engaged in order for the shift to work.  however, there seems to be a bug with that. if i shift and then hold down a direction (as opposed to briefly clicking) occasionally the game gets stuck scrolling in that direction. i have to exit  the game and restart (the save files don't get corrupted or anything so its just a nuisance).

Grey Area

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 10:35:00 am »

I read somewhere in the Future of the Fortress thread that Toady is implementing user-settable bookmarks, i.e. you will be able designate a key to take you to any place on the map, so you could have F1 for your farms, F2 for your workshop district, F3 for the magma forges, etc.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 11:25:00 am »

Without using the mouse, maybe it could be possible by pressing a key to move the cursor in the minimap rather than in the main screen.