Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Xenonauts - Post cold war XCOM re-imagining - KICKSTARTER FUNDED!!  (Read 25996 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts - Post cold war XCOM re-imagining - in early development
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 11:27:25 am »

Am I the only one who ever want to be able to call in bombing runs in X-COM?

Wasn't there a more futuristic remake of X-com that allowed you to call your airships in to attack areas?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:43 am »

Things that go bump in the night: me.

Is this game worth playing yet?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 01:06:46 am »

Things that go bump in the night: me.

Is this game worth playing yet?

It's still just a tech demo, really.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 01:16:14 am »

Lame!  Their website seems to imply that it's pretty much done :-\
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 02:16:33 am »

You'd think so, but it looks like they have 95+% of the game the exact same as the original.  If you are going to remake a game and there are already a ton of remakes out there why not at least make yours stand out by making it different. This is especially sad because the basic formula of "Build bases, manage troops/resources/research, and go out on random missions" can very easily be applied to other settings. It could just as easily work in a post-apocalyptic world where you drive through the wasteland protecting and foraging or to a fantasy world where you protect your kingdom.

Have anyone made an XCOM game that is not set in this sci-fi alien setting? I'd be more interested in trying out an XCOM clone if it wasn't the same alien threat again and again...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 03:59:13 am »

Have anyone made an XCOM game that is not set in this sci-fi alien setting? I'd be more interested in trying out an XCOM clone if it wasn't the same alien threat again and again...

Well, X@Com's modability (when it's actually done and not just a tech demo itself) will allow people to mess with it to great degrees. Like, say, 1700's farmers versus aliens, for example!

'Course, its standard issue setting is still fightan sci-fi aliens, but that's expected of any X-Com inspired work.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 07:01:42 am »

X-com game set in Middle Earth.

"Mordor has cut founding"

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 05:24:06 pm »

X-Com game set in Dwarf Fortress World?

'THAY DEMONS HATH ARRIVED... PULL DA LEVAR!!!'

I would buy that game...
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 09:07:21 pm »

X-Com is about aliens, so no. (X-com Apocalypse has different aliens and setting from the first two games though, sort of)

Jagged Alliance is similar, except focused on modern-ish weapons and mens manshooting each other. The newest game coming out looks like it's replacing the turn-based combat with a frozen-synapse style combat, sort of.

Silent Storm has the turn based combat, but it's a mainly linear storyline with the option to do 'random encounters' that pop up while on the travel map.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2011, 02:59:54 pm »

Has anyone here pre-ordered the game? Is it worth playing the current builds?

I want this project to succeed, but I don't *need* any new games right now. And I'm leery of throwing money at another Elemental.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 03:20:47 pm »

i forget if Laser Squad Nemesis had the same setting.

Anyways, that's not the point of this game. It's to make the original game, but better, essentially. If you want a different game, you should... look for a different game. Don't say an xcom game should be something that an xcom game. That's the sort of thinking that what gets us crap like the "xcom" game a certain company is making right now.

Some people really just want X-Com, but better.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2011, 04:58:53 pm »

Ooh, a Frozen Synapse version of X-Com would be awesome to play/watch.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 06:38:38 pm »

a Frozen Synapse version of X-Com

What? Where?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2011, 07:37:07 pm »

Some people really just want X-Com, but better.

I love Xcom more than anything, but after playing Xcom remake after remake (Along with the UFO series in it's entirety) I find the story (and gameplay, especially gameplay) a bit.... Predictable, I suppose. I'd just like an Xcom game with the mechanics but without the predictability, since I have played the game in 9 different colours as of this point.

Not saying this won't be amazing if it turns out like I expect it to, but it would be a breath of fresh air to transplant the overworld strategy/tactical battles to any other setting. I also expect it'd work out pretty well, considering the design possibilities presented by an in-depth overworld/base model. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:39:42 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 11:00:53 pm »

Definitely watching, but yeah, a different setting Xcom would be fun. Perhaps.. playing AS the aliens? It would be fun to terrorize Earth and try to keep XCOM-y organizations from finding your homeworld. And it would add a bigger disadvantage to defeat, as the humans get your tech and more funding. Also, getting to shoot civilians without government whining. Anyone dumb enough to run straight through a firefight deserves a laser to the head.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11